BIC 1 Sensitive single blade disposables

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: BIC 1 Sensitive single blade disposables

Post by jww »

Yup the slim with the Iridiums are a great set up.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
FireDragon76

Post by FireDragon76 »

I've been using these a lot. I would recommend them, rather than a DE, to a wet shaver who is interested in getting more comfortable shaves. They will not shave as close but they are great for sensitive skin.

I also use the Gilette Guard. It's a tossup which I like better. Guard doesn't shave quite as close but it delivers a fast, low-irritation shave.

The only thing I keep a Sensor for are those very rare times I feel like I need a BBS shave.
pausted

Post by pausted »

Thought I would revive this old thread. We just returned home after traveling for 12 days. For the trip I used the BIC sensitive 1 blade along with Neutrogena Sensitive brushless cream. I used two of the razors during the trip, switching to a new one after day 6. They really do provide an acceptable shave. They are comfortable and smooth and of course, very inexpensive. A quite good little razor.
Best regards,

Basil
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

pausted wrote:Thought I would revive this old thread. We just returned home after traveling for 12 days. For the trip I used the BIC sensitive 1 blade along with Neutrogena Sensitive brushless cream. I used two of the razors during the trip, switching to a new one after day 6. They really do provide an acceptable shave. They are comfortable and smooth and of course, very inexpensive. A quite good little razor.
I have been following this thread pretty much from the beginning and so far never had to use any of the BIC disposable razors that I bought as kind of a last resort - which is what I consider this type of razor.

If I can't take a straight with me, I try taking a Feather AC DX (on occasion, I have been using them for more than three weeks in a row), or - when flying - would use one of the Schick disposables that are usually available on the airline I fly with.

Hence the BIC disposable is my fourth choice, but the day may come when I have to use it after all....

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

Amazon has BiC METAL disposables now -- haven't seen any in stores for a long time.
disengage
BPman

Post by BPman »

I used the Bic Sensitive Skin razors for ages at the recommendation of a dermatologist to fight ingrown hairs. I had actually switched over to the Gillette Guard liking it better until I got hooked on DE shaving.
dosco

Post by dosco »

It's been awhile since I've posted here. Since my 2015 post, I've been daily shaving with a Bic Sensitive. 2 pass seems to be best for me, as a 3 pass irritates my neck.

I did screw the pooch a bit with soap ... I stopped using proper soap and a brush, and about 2 weeks ago I nearly lost my mind with the nicks, cuts, weepers, and irritation I was getting. In the last 3 days I've returned to proper form with a brush and soap.

Anyhow, another comment I have is that the Gillette disposables don't work for me compared to the Bic Sensitives. Something about the Gillette geometry just irritates the hell out of my face and neck.

I didn't care for the Bic Metals either.

The Noxzema (rebranded Kais) were great ... I guess it was a couple of years ago when Brothers mentioned them. I bought some, liked them, and went back to Dollar Tree only to find they didn't have them anymore. :(

-Dave
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

The last Noxzema razors I bought don't seem to shave as well as the BIC Sensitives.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Having started this thread, I'm happy to return to it to report the BIC 1 love continues. It's now firmly established as my daily go-to for a quick one- or two- pass shave, and you'll be disgusted to hear that's in conjunction with Proraso foam from a can. Never lets me down.

I still enjoy a more luxurious brushed shave with my Merkur Slant once or twice a week. But if I had to choose between them, I'm afraid to say those cheap plastic disposables would win hands-down.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have posted my own preference for the Schick Hydro5. I also love the Bic Sensitives that several other members praised. When I finish with the disposables, if I want a bbs shave, it is easy to polish with one of my great DEs or my Schick Injector.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

before i started DE Shaving i used these as much as i can but they weren't always in stock because they are so popular so i had use my Gillette 6 blade "senstive" vibrating torture device (which i still have and its collecting dust now) if i have to use a disposables i would definitely use these
Jordan
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I also have a Fusion that is in my rotation. While it is not as good for me as the Hydro, it gives a pretty good shave even if I turn the vibrator off.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
razorwhiz

Post by razorwhiz »

I have used the Bic Sensitive disposables before & they are very good. They can nick you just like any DE razor. I found that a slick soap or cream applied with a brush will almost prevent nicks unlike the canned foam which I don't like at all.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I used a BIC today and had no problems even though I am pretty sloppy. It doesn't get as close as a DE but I polish with a DE after 3 passes. Today I used a Super Iridium in my Fatboy set to 5.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Inexpensive, effective, and readily available.

I recommend for newbies not able to make the dive into vintage razors and blades as a great jumping off point.

Love Bic Sensitives. I've said it before and will say it again -- best doggone TSA-approved travel razor by miles.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
BPman

Post by BPman »

jww wrote:Inexpensive, effective, and readily available.

I recommend for newbies not able to make the dive into vintage razors and blades as a great jumping off point.

Love Bic Sensitives. I've said it before and will say it again -- best doggone TSA-approved travel razor by miles.
Have you tried the Gillette Guard? IMO, it's the best disposable type extant and for it you can even buy new heads!
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

BPman wrote:
jww wrote:Inexpensive, effective, and readily available.

Have you tried the Gillette Guard? IMO, it's the best disposable type extant and for it you can even buy new heads!
Last time I looked, the Guard on these shores cost about $1.25. For that kind of money and a $2.00 off coupon, I can buy
a bag of 12 Bic Sensitives. I got into this hobby to save money afterall!(sarc.)

I normally rely on Tuesday evening's shave to get me through to Thursday, but I had a dinner to go to today.
Had a very nice 2-pass touch-up with a Bic Sensitive, a tub of Proraso green, and a Plissoft synthetic.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Rufust, even years ago when I used the Bic Sensitive I had to be careful as I still got ingrown hairs if I shaved daily or used any pressure whatsoever. Modern disposable razors IMO simply require pressure to work effectively and that doesn't work with me. Ironically, I never had that problem with the Gillette Guard. I think it was due to the Guard's long comb teeth. Try one, skinflint. :lol: :wink: :P
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Used a Guard this morning and it is very safe. A bit slow to get close, probably because of the comb. Took 10-12 strokes against the stubble residue in the polish phase, and I had to thin my lather to let it get close.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
dwald

Post by dwald »

I remember that John McEnroe, in his tennis glory days, used to advertise for the "regular" Bic disposables (white handle), and some other player was the "sensitive" Bic user (orange handle). I could never get the sensitives to shave close, and preferred the regular version (which has disappeared from local stores).

I'm not as brash as McEnroe, BTW. :D