Gillette Super Adjustable short handle razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Gillette Super Adjustable short handle razor

Post by brothers »

Found one in a group of old razors a few months ago. Dated T4 (1973). Used it today for the first time, started out with a new Personna prep blade and set the adjuster on 9. Took my time and paid attention, and got a very nice shave. No nicks or cuts, but the aftershave pretty well lit up my face, which is unusual. Dialed it down to 8 for tomorrow, and I'll probably continue dialing it down one notch every day until I find the best setting for me. There are several things I like about this design. It has a nice weight, metal base plate, good proportion and balance with the short handle. It's a handsome razor. Feels solid and comfortable in the hand. The diameter of the handle and the knurling help the user keep a good grip on the razor. The butterflies work well after 42 years, as does the adjuster. Nice solid razor, it seems to represent a culmination of the TTO adjustable design. There were also two of the long handle versions of this razor in the same group. I believe I prefer the short handle. Over all this is a good razor.

Last edited by brothers on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Straight Arrow

Re: Gillette Super Adjustable short handle razor

Post by Straight Arrow »

It's my favorite razor. My adjustment preferences are just the opposite of yours. Started at 1 and found that 1 or 2 suits my beard and skin the best with most blades.
Rich
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm with Rich on the settings, usually two, three at the most. I also agree with Gary though, these vintage Gillettes are remarkably well designed and solid.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Pictures?????
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, good suggestion. A project I will address later this afternoon when I return from work. Today's result with the adjustment at 8 was close and smooth without the irritation that was slightly present yesterday. Now looking forward to tomorrow's trial at 7.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

When I was in my Adjustable DE razor phase I wanted one of those desperately. Alas, all of my adjustables are in mothballs and the only DE razors in the cabinet (and easily available) are 2 pre-'21 Gillettes and 2 R41s.

Once I began using 3 piece heads I found the adjustables like going going for a drive in a dump truck as compared to a sports car.

Oddly enough the large heads on the SE razors don't bother me.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hiya,

The short handle Super gives me pretty much the same good shave as a Slim, but I much prefer how the Super feels in my hand. I believe both have about the same handle length and weight, and maybe the Super is a little more head heavy. It also looks better than a Slim to me.

Martin
brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote:Pictures?????
Wendell, I've added a picture to the original post above. :D
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The number 7 turned out to be my winner. :D There was no harshness or uncomfortable blade feel whatsoever. And the result was all the way up there with my small group of vintage 80+ year old non-Gillettes. So now I welcome the only Gillette razor to the inner circle. I have tried them all, and none have matched or exceeded my perceptions and expectations until now. This is an outstanding razor in my book. Now we move on.

Gary

BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I was lucky enough to purchase one of these black handled Super Adjustables recently. I have been using it in rotation. Recently I tried it on a low setting, and decided that it does beautifully on 2 or 3. Takes a few more strokes, but still gives a DFS, and VERY comfortable. I also think that it is aesthetically very pleasing. All in all, one of my favorites.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:
jww wrote:Pictures?????
Wendell, I've added a picture to the original post above. :D
Nice.
Wendell

BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Apologies, because I know this has been discussed before someplace or other on SMF, but ...

With regard to the black handled Super Adjustables:

What is the consensus about whether the TTO must be loosened before changing the adjustment ring? I have found that it is certainly EASIER to change the numerical adjustment if the silo doors are loose, and I've heard folk say that failure to do so will damage the mechanism. So I usually do loosen pre-adjustment. But occasionally I have clean forgotten and actually the razor seems totally unharmed.

So, at the end of the day, what do we (that is, the "SMF we"!) think:

EITHER,

(1) loosening the TTO is the best practice and will extend the useful life of the razor.

OR ...

(2) loosening the TTO is an unnecessary waste of time that will have no effect on the useful life of the razor.
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I've read many opinions on the matter of whether to adjust with silo doors opened or closed. I usually adjust with the doors open. In looking at some instruction sheets from Gillette it doesn't seem to matter. Here is a link to Mr. Razor's database of instruction sheets. See for yourself. Thanks Mr. Razor...wherever you are..........!

http://www.mr-razor.com/Anleitungen/Geb ... tungen.htm
Rich
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've always presumed that there was no connection between harming the razor and adjusting while tightened/not tightened. I only understood that being tight would prevent the adjustment from actually occurring until such time as the stress was removed from the components by loosening the mechanism. I too am guilty of adjusting while tightened a thousand times without even being aware of it. It seems to be an issue that's going to be debated and discussed for as long as we keep using these old razors.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I always loosen the gates because that's intuitive but frankly I don't think it matters much.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:I always loosen the gates because that's intuitive but frankly I don't think it matters much.
Same here.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You guys have got me thinking I should dig out my Super Adjustable.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Since I rescued this old classic and discovered it's an amazingly effective shaving tool, I've learned that the final quarter turn of the tightening knob is somewhat difficult to loosen after being tightened to lock down the butterflies. I have a feeling that this razor, like many, wasn't used very much before it fell into my hands. I soaked it in some high quality lubricating oil and vigorously worked with it to make sure the oil found its way into the inner surfaces of the tightening/loosening mechanism. I am hopeful that the oil will help.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Was the name Super used for the short handle versions? I thought they were called Slim.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

The long handle was originally officially named "Super 109". The 109 referred to the handle length of 109.5 millimeters.

The short handle was originally officially named "Super 84", again referring to the handle length of 84 millimeters.

Later on, they started officially naming them "Super Adjustable"

ImageImage
Gary