Safety razor of the Day DE or SE

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Safety razor of the Day DE or SE

Post by Squire »

A number of our members have mentioned having a selection of DE and SE razors for their use (do any of us own just one) so I thought we might have a thread about them. This also gives me some incentive to dust off a few of my own.

My choice of razor this evening is the Schick Krona.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Re: Safety razor of the Day DE or SE

Post by CMur12 »

Wow, I've really eliminated a lot of the razors from my use, having settled mainly, once again, on the singularly agreeable Gillette Tech and the Mergress. Effectively out of the rotation are the Edwin Jaggers and the Webers, which are both too aggressive for me. The first generation iKon and the Feather AS-D1, both very mild, may also yield their places to the Tech. I may be doing some experimenting, at long last with some of my old Gillettes, however, as I still have a lot of them that I have never used.

- Murray
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The Schick Krona has long fascinated me, but that handle violates my personal ergonomics, so I'll probably never try one. I suppose it's all good, since it works so well for many others.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Schick Krona holds a special place in my shaving gear. When it came time for me to serve my country as a young man, my father (a veteran of the Marines) gave me a shaving kit with a Schick Krona and a Bible in it. I used that Krona for 39 years until it just wore out. I still have it. For 13 of those years, while he was disabled and unable to shave himself, I used it to shave him on Saturday mornings, as well as myself.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The GEM SS ptfe blades I prefer are too sharp or too something when fresh, so I age them for a few shaves and they always mellow out. So for the past few days I've had a fresh one in a GEM Damaskeene which is a milder SE razor. One more shave in the Damaskeene and it can go in any razor since it will be at it's prime.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gillette Super Adjustable razor this morning.
Regards,
Squire
pausted

Post by pausted »

A Razorock Mission DE razor today. This is a very nice, three piece , affordable razor. It works quite well for me with a variety of blades.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Coming off yesterday's straight razor, today's razor was the Ever Ready Streamline SE. There's nothing else like using one of those old SE razors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I had been content with Gillette adjustables, Slim and Super, for some time until my '63 Slim fell from atop the bathroom cabinet, the plastic travel case popped open, and the razor hit the floor. The replacement cost of such razors seems to have appreciated since I got them 5-6 years ago. Looking for an more easily replaceable tool, I read up on and resurrected a Lord Smart Razor that I had tried a few years ago and put away. I was working on a 15-pack of Gillette Spoilers when I switched from Gillette adjustables to the Smart Razor. So far the Spoilers seem to work better in the Smart Razor than in the adjustables. With some adjustments to technique for the "new" razor, the result is a closer shave with less irritation, even though the Smart doesn't sound or feel quite as smooth when being drawn over my face.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Schick Krona this morning.
Regards,
Squire
DoughBoy68

Post by DoughBoy68 »

A Schick Injector circa 1946 - 1955 with Schick Chromium blades, Cella soap & badger hair brush, a splash of Witch Hazel followed by Nivea Revitalizing Double Action Balm. A nice smooth irritation free shave, almost as good as I get with a str8.
"If you knew half of what I have forgot you would be an idiot" by DoughBoy68
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gillette Super Adjustable this evening.
Regards,
Squire
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

+1 on the black-handled super adjustable. Used it today set on 3 with a Personna Hospital Use blade ... nice gentle shave.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gillette Super Adjustable short handle razor w/Kai blade
Gary

alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

My current rotation includes DEs, an injector and a Contour 2 SE. About the only thing left on a prospective
shopping list might be a better looking SE razor. 8)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My Schick Krona this morning.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Last night: Gillette Super Speed (1940s style, Z1 date code, 1954).

1954 was the last year Gillette made this style of Super Speed and it is also the year they introduced the Flair Tip model. I bought this razor years ago, but never got around to giving it a try. Last night, I shaved with it for the first time and I found it to be as gentle as my Tech, while more effective, as I got the best shave in memory. I'll use it a few more times, at least, to see if further experience with it bears out my initial impressions.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Regards,
Squire
pausted

Post by pausted »

Razorock Mission DE again this morning.