From the ashes? Phoenix Double Open Comb razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

From the ashes? Phoenix Double Open Comb razor

Post by brothers »

This is a new current production DE razor. Offered by Mr. Douglas Smythe formerly of HTGAM, (How to Grow a Mustache) now he's in Arizona and his webstore is called Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. Here's the link. The Dbl OC Phoenix is based on the old (1930's) Grand razor. Mr. Smythe says he added a few refinements and made the design even better than it was when Gillette drove it and a lot of other competitors out of business through oppressive mass marketing practices. Whatever he did, it works. Not harsh nor aggressive, it just works. I've spent a lot of time and expense toward finding the razors that work best for me. I don't like harsh shaves, but I do like them to be close and smooth, with no skin irritation, and equally important, no remaining whisker stubble. The fit and finish on the Dbl OC Phoenix is quite good. The plating appears to be chrome. The knurling on the handle is crisp and effective. As you can see in this photo, the head bends the blade a bit more than other more common razors, and the top cap is even more of an open comb than the bottom plate. This is a standard 3-piece razor that will intechange with most available handles. The price is in the low range. The open combs have something to do with the quality of the shave, and while I can't explain it, I can agree that something is definitely working for the better. One of my best razors at a fraction of the price.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: From the ashes? Phoenix Double Open Comb razor

Post by fallingwickets »

handle looks really nice....thanks for posting pics, link etc

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Interesting site which appears to have some decent prices.
Regards,
Squire
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Hey guys, got one on the way. can;t wait to try it. I'm a head shaver and hopeing it should work real good for me.

Anthony
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That's a neat looking razor, Gary. However, you seem to favor aggressive razors, so when you say this one isn't aggressive, I'm not sure that you and I understand the same thing.

Would you recommend this razor to someone who uses a Gillette Tech?

Thanks -

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, this one doesn't have a harsh feel on the face, and it seems to be forgiving. But at the same time, it leaves very little, if any, stubble. This tells me it's cutting closer and smoother (in my opinion) than similar-feeling "mild" razors. Stated a different way, it feels like a mild razor, but it cuts as close or closer than razors that feel more dangerous and prone to nick or cut. These are the ones I call harsh and aggressive. The mystique with the design has something going on at the point where the blade meets the skin and slices through the whiskers that I confess I don't understand. I was hoping someone who prefers mild razors (Tech) and has tried the Double OC would be able to post about their experiences. My only recommendation would be to try it and see what happens. When I bought this one I was on the other side of the question, I was afraid it wouldn't really shave as close and smooth as I wanted it to, or even worse, that it would be another Cobra or R41 that makes me bleed far too often.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the response, Gary. I generally consider myself past buying shaving stuff, but this one has me intrigued. I'll have to give it some thought.

- Murray
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary very kindly sent me his Phoenix double-comb razor to try, and I wielded it for the first time tonight.

Now, knowing that Gary likes aggressive razors, I approached this one with some trepidation and great care. The shave went smoothly and without mishap, with no nicks or weepers. I got a very close, smooth shave, albeit with some razor burn.

Gary, I think I'll give it another whirl on my Thursday night shave, then return it to you. I think it's still a bit aggressive for me, but I would never have known without the opportunity to try it myself. Thank you.

- Murray
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I haven't tried this razor, but I don't plan to either. This is perhaps a bit off topic, but after what Mr. Smythe has been up to, I just don't see myself buying anything from him ever again.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Just had my second shave with the Phoenix. Very impressive performance. I'm sold on it during the shave, but afterwards I feel the razor burn.

Thanks again for the loan of this razor, Gary!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

My pleasure Murray, you're welcome. Your informative feedback is appreciated.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, the razor seems to do especially well at "finding" whiskers in difficult spots and mowing them down.

- Murray
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

bought one of these razors based on this thread. a very nice looking razor. no weepers. not a particularly close shave but ok. 3 hours later my face is red as a lobster from razor burn. didn't see that coming! #-o it's for sale on ebay now =D>
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wow Gil, I'm sorry. :(
Gary

gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

no problem. i'm afraid the pancea is not out there :wink:
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I might have approached it more cautiously that you, Gil, and with a deliberately lighter touch than I would with my usual (mild) razors. I got a very effective, close shave, but it was still a little too aggressive for me. I have very sensitive skin and I only got very minor razor burn. If I had slung it around like I do a Gillette Tech, I'm pretty sure I would have peeled off some skin!

- Murray
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

the razor felt mild. had a nice experience til 2 hours later
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Come to think of it, I didn't experience any skin irritation until after the shave, either.

It didn't feel mild to me, but I'm not used to shaving with a Futur.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Your experiences seem to add to the mystique surrounding this thing. I'm relieved to hear that you share my observation that it "feels" mild, but where the rubber meets the road, so to speak, there's something going on with the business at hand - cutting close, and in at least two cases in point, too close for comfort, as they say. Now I'm thinking there may be others who are comfortable shaving toward the more aggressive (harsh?) end of the spectrum might weigh in on their impressions also?
Gary

flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Hi all, well I have been shaving on and off with the phoenix for a few weeks now and and find it to be more on the aggressive side then the smooth side. But its weird, Not that aggressive and Not that smooth. If you know what I mean. :shock: Have a Derby extra in it with about 5 shaves now. gonna try an other blade and see how that go's. Like others, I have NOT had any irritation after the shave. Last shave was with a Gillette slim wtg, and atg then used the Phoenix to buff up. Worked well.

Anthony