I've been thinking about getting a Futur

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

I've been thinking about getting a Futur

Post by brothers »

I had one a few years back. It was the polished version. I eventually sold it to a gent down in OZ by the name of Dave. Anyway, after all these years this was the only razor that ever made my hand/fingers physically ache during and after the shave. It was annoying, and I think it was the result of two factors, first, being smooth without knurling, and second, the contour of the handle. I was obviously using muscles not normally stressed by handling a razor during the daily act of shaving. I even went so far as to wrap friction tape around the handle to take the place of normal knurling, before I eventually sold it. Now I find myself wishing I had another one, this time the matte finish version. Has anyone had similar experiences with the Futur? Do you you think the matte finish will make any difference?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: I've been thinking about getting a Futur

Post by Squire »

For me the finish makes little or no difference in the performance of a Futur. I can see why one finish may be considered more attractive than another but that's a blonde/brunette thing.
Regards,
Squire
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

I used the matte version for years and had no issues with the grip.
What did not work too well for me was the unique head design that has more overhang than conventional safety razors and that affected precision of the shave around the corners of my moustache.
Otherwise; even though rarely used nowadays, the razor still gives me good shaves and over time I have retched up the setting from 1-1½ to 4 without sacrificing comfort.

My current go-to safety razors are vintage Gillettes and Mühles though.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think the only 2 ways I could avoid the unexplained physical pain in my fingers that the Futur causes while shaving would be to (1) continue to be without a Futur; or (2) physically alter the contour of the handle. That would be an interestiing project that would require some thought and a bit of effort, and inevitable expenses. Option two turns out to be a mere hypothetical because I have to do nothing at all to continue to comply with option one. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I have a matte Futur which has been in my regular rotation for over a decade.
I have experimented with wrapping the handle in quarter inch rubber bands but
have come once again to settle on the handle as it is.

While the weight does not cause my fingers to ache I find it useful
in applying the "feather Touch" with blades that are beyond their prime.

If the weight causes discomfort you may wish to consider a slant. :idea:
yohannrjm

Post by yohannrjm »

I've never had any issues with the Futur (as far as pain is concerned). I can imagine the weight and balance of the razor being an issue for some people (or myself, as I age).

I doubt it is the finish of the handle itself that's the issue, because I've had the smooth gold version and the matte version and had no issues with either of them.

I think that while the matte version may offer a bit more grip, it is the weight and balance of the razor that's causing the issue, combined with the handle design - and that's not going to change, so you are probably going to have to deal with the pain again (or modify your grip).
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends."
The Highwaymen
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Or use a different razor. I don't use an open razor because the stropping process bothers my arthritic wrists. Fortunately I have others from which to choose.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have used the smooth Futur for several years. At first I had trouble controlling it and every shave resulted in nicks or scrapes Somehow I caught on to how to handle mine and I shave without effort or nicks. It requires attention and thought all during a shave and a light touch. That probably is what causes aches, but I am ham fisted and it doesn't bother me. If I daydream during a shave, you guessed it: NICKS.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i have a love/ hate relationship with the futur. i've owned all the finishes and find no difference among them. my favorite was the gold. wish i still had it. i don't use a futur very often. i need to stay more focused with it to avoid blood letting more than anyother razor and i don't need that stress while i try to enjoy a shave.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gil I have and use the gold yet find it works best for me when used daily. If used only occasionally I find it requires a wee bit more concentration than say a Chatsworth which I can use blindfolded.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

For me shaving with the Futur is like using a Feather blade in my fatboy. Yeaterday I used my Futur with a Kai blade. Today the fatboy/feather. Also I use three fingers like holding a pencil with the Futur with the grain. Against the grain it is more of a thumb and forefinger hold. I use my lower arm and keep my wrist mostly rigid except for finessing the start or end of a stroke.
Don't recall any aches or pains of my hand.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

This round of RAD was short-circuited by the lucky find of a polished stainless steel Mongoose razor, currently inbound from PA. No longer lusting for another Futur. 8)
Gary

flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Hey Gary got one today. I was intimidated but stuck to my technique and had a Great Shave, set on 1 with an Astra platinum. Also used Kilted Tiki for the first time to. Great Soap. I also wanted one for some time now but just felt it was to pricey. Then I seen it on Amazon for this=

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Razor-Adju ... rkur+futur

Anthony
brothers

Post by brothers »

Congrats! It pays to shop around.
Gary