What type of Krona did I buy...?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Darkbulb

What type of Krona did I buy...?

Post by Darkbulb »

So I had intended to buy a grey, eagled Eversharp "Krona".
Normally this razor differs from a regular Schick "Krona" in that;
- the handle is grey,
- under the baseplate it says Eversharp and has an eagle-mark, and
- the end of the razor sports an eagle mark as well.

But, when I received mine today, which was odd already as it came in a Shick branded case - which the seller claimed was original to the razor - the mystery thickened as only two of the characteristics above are on this razor.

The Schick case it arrived in:

Complete with Schick branded blade case and instructions...

It's not as black as a regular Schick Krona so [check one].
But why is it in a Schick labelled case? A mis-match? Maybe the owner was wrong about it being the original case?

Looking under the baseplate, sorry for the crummy iPhone photo, it has the eagle stamp and "Eversharp" name: [check two].

But next it gets odd...looking at the end tip we see this:

So....we have a razor with Eversharp name and eagle under the baseplate, with a Schick logo on the tip - in a Schick case.

Is it just me or is this a tad odd?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: What type of Krona did I buy...?

Post by Squire »

Looks like a transitional razor made up of available parts. Don't recall seeing one of these before.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

They are not uncommon. It's a Schick Krona after Eversharp bought them. The metal TTO knob ones were made first & in later years the plastic TTO knob ones. Best daily razor made IMO. :wink:
haiti222

Post by haiti222 »

The Silver Krona is the Eversharp razor made to go along with the expensive and incredibly shiny Eversharp blade that was introduced as a super-premium blade around 1965. Gillette countered with the Aristocrat. They both were 4 blades for a dollar. I shaved with one last week, and they give a good shave, but longevity is lacking.....

More info here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread ... Blade-1965

Unfortunately, no picture of the original packaging of your razor.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I recall buying the blades and getting a Krona razor free in the package. It's the best designed throwaway I've ever owned.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

Squire wrote:...It's the best designed throwaway I've ever owned.
"Throwaway"? NOOOOOO!! :shock: Never!!! [-X :wink:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You're right, I'm keeping mine. I'm just impressed they could treat such a well designed razor as a freebie, must've been quite a profit margin on those blades, at least on repeat sales.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

Squire, as I'm sure you know the "Golden Era" Schick Plus Platinum, Krona-Chrome & Chromium (the latter two being the same blade and just a name change) were some of the best blades of their time. IMO, they were at least as good as the other top tier blades with perhaps the Plus Platinum being THE best.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I really like the Schick Plus Platinums and still have a few around which I plan to use when I find them.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I have a pretty good supply of Schick Plus Platinum blades and I think they're good, but I don't find them exceptional. I was actually kind of disappointed not to be more impressed with them. The only vintage blade that has really impressed me is the Personna 74, which I would dearly like to get more of, but not at the prevailing prices.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Regretably, the one iconic blade from days gone by which I haven't pursued is the Personna 74. Not a problem because I've got plenty of others that manage to get the job done.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree about the 74s Murray. If I came across a reasonably priced lot I'd buy them even though I don't really need any more blades.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Squire, I, too, have way more blades than I will ever use, but I would happily add more 74s if I could get them for a good price.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

I have about 65 or 70 Personna 74 blades I stumbled into in a lot buy. It's a great blade, but I only got about 7 or 8 shaves before it deteriorated. I gave one to a buddy and his results were the same. Someday I'll try another.
BPman

Post by BPman »

OK, you duffers forced me to dig out a NOS Personna 74 to try again. :wink: So far, two splendid shaves. As many have mentioned about this blade, it starts off extremely sharp but....."hard". I know that sounds ridiculous, but I cannot find the right word beyond that one. There is no roughness, just a sharp hard smoothness. Must be the tungsten (duh! :roll: ). I have only used one before and it went seven shaves before going south. However, I would be remiss to not mention that my style/technique has improved since then. As well, I don't do three pass shaves. I do one pass WTG and sometimes an XTG on my "jowls". I'll see how this progresses. 1st shave was using a Gillette pre-war Canada Tech and 2nd with a Krona.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Duffers indeed and proud of it.
Regards,
Squire