Family Dollar "Gillette" DE Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Family Dollar "Gillette" DE Blades

Post by BPman »

I read on another forum whereas Family Dollar was now carrying DE blades made by Gillette. Well, yesterday I found a 5 pack and the fella needs to get new glasses. :roll: It has an advertising logo on the front that says "Compare to Gillette Super Stainless".. I think he misread it. Regardless, I cannot help but wonder why they put this on a package for sale in the USA when no large chain retailer sells Gillette DE blades. :? Odd.

The rear of the pckg. says made in Vietnam which is Dorco and is obvious as well by their proprietary dispenser. That said, I have never gotten a bad shave from a Dorco blade yet, although I have not tried the 301. The regular 300 is a decent daily shaver. :wink:
Last edited by BPman on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Family Dollar "Gillette" DE Blades

Post by Squire »

Apparently Family Dollar and Dorco have had a long standing relationship for some years now.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

BPman wrote:I read on another forum whereas Family Dollar was now carrying DE blades made by Gillette. Well, yesterday I found a 5 pack and the fella needs to get new glasses. :roll: It has a an advertising logo on the front that says "Compare to Gillette Super Stainless".. I think he misread it. Regardless, I cannot help but wonder why they put this on a package for sale in the USA when no large chain retailer sells Gillette DE blades. :? Odd.

The rear of the pckg. says made in Vietnam which is Dorco and is obvious as well by their proprietary dispenser. That said, I have never gotten a bad shave from a Dorco blade yet, although I have not tried the 301. The regular 300 is a decent daily shaver. :wink:
I suppose the statement about comparing to Gillette is a good marketing technique. It will probably stimulate sales.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

Ironically, the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russian Green) is an often overlooked DE blade with others in the line getting all the laurels. I think it's fantastic. :wink:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm aware of Gillette Super Thin blades being made in Thailand and Viet Nam, but I wasn't aware that Dorcos were made anywhere outside of Korea.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't know that they are Murray but it makes sense Dorco would expand facilities to Vietnam which has a vibrant, booming economy.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Someone try these yet.
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

CMur12 wrote:I'm aware of Gillette Super Thin blades being made in Thailand and Viet Nam, but I wasn't aware that Dorcos were made anywhere outside of Korea.

- Murray
Which opens up another can of worms: I still have a pack of Gillette Super Thins in Thai packaging. They have worked nicely when I used them, but at the time the word was that it was the same blade in either Thai or Vietnamese packaging. Comments about blade for the Vietnam market since then have not been so favorable.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Rufust445 wrote:
CMur12 wrote:I'm aware of Gillette Super Thin blades being made in Thailand and Viet Nam, but I wasn't aware that Dorcos were made anywhere outside of Korea.

- Murray
Which opens up another can of worms: I still have a pack of Gillette Super Thins in Thai packaging. They have worked nicely when I used them, but at the time the word was that it was the same blade in either Thai or Vietnamese packaging. Comments about blade for the Vietnam market since then have not been so favorable.
Yes, Dorco makes blades in Vietnam as well as Korea.

I have tried the Gillette Vietnam Super Thins and to be frank they were awful. :(
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BPman wrote:
Rufust445 wrote:

- Murray
Yes, Dorco makes blades in Vietnam as well as Korea.

I have tried the Gillette Vietnam Super Thins and to be frank they were awful. :(
Thanks for the clarification, BPman.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

There is some confusion regarding modern Gillette Super Thin production. Note: this is not about the old Thin blades, but the current ones made abroad in Asia or China.

I tried the Gillette Super Thin made in Vietnam and it was just simply awful, like shaving with a hoe. However, I recently ordered a trial blade of Super Thin made in Thailand and the difference is night & day!! So far, a fantastic blade!! Now the confusing part: I read that these are BOTH actually made in China & are distributed with different packaging to respective countries. Now there is no way in Hell these two blades are the same based on my experiences. So, either they are not the same blade OR the Vietnam ones I received were fake, even though I bought them from a reputable vendor. :?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Fake sounds more plausible, I've seen it happen.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

family dollar blades are actually pretty good.
They are a 5 pack inside the regular 10 pack dispenser.

They give a slightly rough first shave, but then the subsequent shaves are how do you say, um really enjoyable. I believe I got 7-9 shaves on a single one of these blades with my travel tech, but I might have counted wrong. at least 5 shaves I KNOW.

best first shave is to lightly do what Gillette instructions said to do with the old round ended carbon blades, a quick wipe of the edge only on the palm or shirt front. its best to leave the oil on them for the first shave, I do believe them mere carbon

I always do the edge wipe after the shave as well. and alchohol rinse.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

a lot friendlier in my 65 flare but I have to ask

is there something smoother I can try with the same sharpness?