Getting a new razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
kennethj

Getting a new razor

Post by kennethj »

I am thinking of getting a new razor. I have an Edwin Jaegger and a Merkur HD that I like well enough, but I want to treat myself to a new razor. I have tried a Merkur Progress that I thought was too aggressive for me and it was bulky. I like a smaller razor, easier to maneuver. I know very little about used razors but I see on ebay a lot of Gillette Superspeeds with the black tip. Are there other places besides ebay that sell used razors?
kennethj

Re: Getting a new razor

Post by kennethj »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1749-Vintage-Gi ... 20ffe2ec5b

Found this one on ebay. $115. and I can't be sure I will like it.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Going the vintage route I strongly recommend the Schick Krona.
Regards,
Squire
kennethj

Post by kennethj »

Thanks Squire. I just ordered a Krona on ebay. I'll reply back with my impressions.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I think you will like it Kenneth, it's a beautifully balanced tool.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

Squire wrote:Going the vintage route I strongly recommend the Schick Krona.
I'll 2nd that. I have owned one Gillette SS Red Tip and it was too aggressive for me. I sold it within the week. A 1940's or 50's Super Speed is better IMO. That said, the two razors I find myself using the most are the Krona & the Gillette Tech. Honorable mention to the Feather Popular.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

kennethj wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1749-Vintage-Gi ... 20ffe2ec5b

Found this one on ebay. $115. and I can't be sure I will like it.
For $115 I KNOW that I wouldn't like it! I wouldn't like it even for the sold price of $85. Granted I haven't bought a vintage Gillette razor in awhile, but I don't think that price is even close to reasonable.

Next time you get the bug for a new razor would you consider a Single edge (SE) razor? They do a fantastic job, cost little, and are plentiful. Just be sure to check back in before dropping the hammer on one. They vary from mild (not at all common IMO) to mid and extremely aggressive. The latter 2 being quite common.

Enjoy the new razor!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No, no, no, that thing isn't worth a fraction of that price. If I'm going to pay retail I'll buy something new.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

My impression is that, with all the reasonably priced new DE razors now available, there is virtually no market left for user-grade vintage Gillettes. The only remaining market for vintage Gillettes is for collectables in near-mint condition, preferably with the original case, and the prices have gone way up.

- Murray
kennethj

Post by kennethj »

Thanks guys. What do you all think of the Weishi razors ? I like the idea that they are milds, TTO, and cheap.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, maybe Murray, but there is one sort of vintage Gillette that IMO is unique in feel and those are the pre-'21 razors. The cap is a hair thinner than what comes later and to my face and hand it makes a big difference. I know of no other razors that have the same feel. I don't know that they shave better than what comes later though. I do know that the way they feel has caused me to put into storage all of my other Gillettes.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
BPman

Post by BPman »

kennethj wrote:Thanks guys. What do you all think of the Weishi razors ? I like the idea that they are milds, TTO, and cheap.
Chinese crap IMO.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Weishi is a very mild but competent performer. I used to give Weishis to new shavers to get them started using a DE.
Regards,
Squire
kennethj

Post by kennethj »

Got my Shick Krona and tried it today. It came in very good condition. Used but in great shape. I loaded it with a new Hospital Prep blade which is a fairly aggressive blade for me. I immediately noticed how light the razor was and I had to be careful not to use too much pressure. I had the thought, gee, a gentle razor, I could apply more pressure, but that is not the case. Did a single pass shave. Clean and smooth. Nice shave. I would call it a gentle razor but it can be aggressive with a sharp new blade like the Hospital Prep. Overall, a good value shipped to me for $20.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Kenneth, good score at the right price. That razor will last you many years.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

Let the bevels on the doors be your guide. They are there for that purpose. Steady light pressure and follow the bevel. :wink:

The Schick Krona is the DE razor Gillete wished it had made. IMO, the zenith of DE design for its simplicity & functionality. :)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Very good Kenneth, sounds like an excellent start.
Regards,
Squire
kennethj

Post by kennethj »

I also splurged a bit and bought a Bolen Weber triple trac razor. It's such a nice looking razor. Blades are about $3 each but I figure I'll use it only once or twice a week to save on blade expense.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's a good idea Kenneth, using the far more inexpensive DE blades to cut costs. A quality shave is a quality shave and there is flexibility in having a mix of shaving tools.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Alas, with my RAD days well behind me, I do admit some regret to not having acquired a Krona. Sounds like Kenneth got a nice deal there.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?