Merkur Progress Reassembly

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
scruffy

Merkur Progress Reassembly

Post by scruffy »

Does anyone know how to reassemble a Merkur Progress?

I was trying to change the blade, and I kept turning the bottom because the top part was not coming loose. The entire bottom came out, and eventually the top did come off.

Just to clarify. Instead of two pieces; I have three. They are the handle, the bottom knob and the top part that holds the razor.

Thanks for the help.

Ed
Last edited by scruffy on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Merkur Progress Reassembly

Post by Squire »

Can't help Ed but a search might be useful, that's been a topic of discussion in the past.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Ed -

The bottom piece/adjustment knob isn't that securely held in place. As such, it can be pulled out of the handle and reinserted into the handle with a little pressure. Once reinserted, you should be able to screw the top piece in as you would normally.

I'm not sure why the top part of your razor wouldn't come loose. I keep unscrewing the knob until I can pull the top part free. Pulling on the knob, instead, could result in the disassembly you described.

I have seen mention of this elsewhere and it has happened to me once. I don't know if repeated disassembly of this sort would cause wear and compromise the integrity of the razor, so my inclination is to avoid it.

Hope this helps.

- Murray
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Thank you Murray; your answer does help. I did try to push the knob in, but I did not apply alot of force because I did not want to break it. I will try again.

Ed
Ed
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

it's rocket science! :)
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I was able to figure it out. The ring with the slit was sitting over the bottom part of the knob thus preventing it from going back into the razor. I loosened the ring and slid it up onto the thinner part of the shaft. The rest of the knob was then able to clcik into place with a little force.
Ed
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I'm keen to hear scruffy, if the re-insertion of the bottom knob resulted in any change in how the numbers line up -- that's a fairly important component of a Progress.
disengage
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

scruffy wrote:I was able to figure it out. The ring with the slit was sitting over the bottom part of the knob thus preventing it from going back into the razor. I loosened the ring and slid it up onto the thinner part of the shaft. The rest of the knob was then able to clcik into place with a little force.
Ed, I'm guessing that when you say you "loosened the ring" you mean that you pinched it to close the slit, which reduced the circumference of the ring and made it slide more easily into the handle. This is what I do, as well.

BiffBuff, doing this doesn't change the settings.

- Murray