Wilkinson Premium Chromium: Same as Light Brigades?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
rexcarolus

Wilkinson Premium Chromium: Same as Light Brigades?

Post by rexcarolus »

Hello,

I picked about a number of packs of Wilkinson "Premium Chromium Double Edge" blades. These are Made in England and supposedly contemporary to the "Light Brigades." I am curious if these are thought to be equivalent to LBs. Thank you.

Regards,

Rexcarolus
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Wilkinson Premium Chromium: Same as Light Brigades?

Post by Squire »

I cannot say whether they are the same blades in different packaging but the true test is whether they shave as well.
Regards,
Squire
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

Yes, that is the true test, sir.

I bought the Feather AS-D2 early this week and had used it exclusively with Feather blades up until today's shave. The Feather blade in the AS-D2 has given me cleanest shaves ever. I expected the Wilkinson Premium Chromium to be like my prior experience with LBs (most often used in a Slim): very sharp, smoother/more forgiving than Feather, and longer edge retention. I can't comment on the edge retention after just one shave, but these were harsher and rougher and couldn't match the clean-shaving ability of Feathers. But again, I am still learning this razor, which may truly be optimized to excel with the Feather blades. That has been my experience so far.

Any thoughts on how LBs perform in the Feather AS-D2?

Regards,

Rexcarolus
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Have never used that Feather razor, but have used Wilkinson Light Brigade blades extensively in other razors and the blades performed well in all of them.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

Some say they are & some they aren't. I've used both, but since I have some for sale here it would not be an objective opinion.
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

I loaded a fresh LB into the Feather AS-D2 this morning. I am still learning this razor (and discovered that it cuts well with more of the cap touching the face compared with the Slim), but I got the impression that the LB is not as smooth as the Feather blade in this razor. It did give a very good shave. I will need to try the Premium Chromium in it again. Certainly the finishing on Premium Chromium blade is not as smart looking as the LB, which takes the top prize (along with Super Sword Edge) in the blade looks/finishing department.

Regards,

Rexcarolus
BPman

Post by BPman »

The old English Wilkies & Personna 74 blades were endurance "race horses". They shave "harder" than the modern blades IMO, if that makes any sense. It's a different feel. Personally, I always felt the best of the so called "Golden Age" American blades was the Schick Plus Platinum. YMMV. :wink:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Schick Plus Platinums, yes, great blades.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Entering into this YMMV discussion, I find the Personna 74 the best blades I have ever tried by a long shot. For me, they are very smooth, very sharp, and they last at least twice as long as any other blade. I experience Wilkinson Sword Light Brigades as very sharp, but harsh. Schick Plus Platinum are good blades, but I don't find them exceptional.

- Murray