Gillette blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Big Swifty

Gillette blades

Post by Big Swifty »

Hello gents,
I have a question regarding current production Gillette blades. I see a lot of reviews here for platinums, silver-blues, and 7 O'clocks. I don't see much talk about Nacets or Rubies and I've seen these relatively cheap on the bay. I have read here that the rubies are good blades and some believe they are the same as the platinums. Are the Nacets the same as the rubies just packaged for different markets or are they different? You can get some on the bay right now for $14 for 100 blades. Seems pretty good to me but I just wanted to hear that they are good blades first from those who have used them before I purchase and would I be better off ordering some rubies instead?
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
BPman

Re: Gillette blades

Post by BPman »

The Nacet Stainless as made in Russia is a FANTASTIC blade IMO. It's not the same as the Rubie Platinum Plus or any other than I can tell & is made for the Middle East market I believe. Some even think it's Gillette's best. You will have to try one of each to determine. You can buy one of each at: http://tryablade.com/blade
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

e photo.jpg
e photo.jpg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
d photo.jpg
d photo.jpg (17.3 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
c photo.jpg
c photo.jpg (18.77 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
b photos.jpg
b photos.jpg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
Thanks for that info and the link, will have to get those among others. In an unrelated note, check out these older blades I found at an antique store in a small box of roughly 100 and no empties or doubles. I paid $18 for em
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Awesome find......are you going to use them, or frame for prosperity and showmanship?

:)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

A lot of the ones I have opened up to look at have been carbon steel blades with a fair amount of deposits on them, so those are a no for sure. They all seem to be pretty old but the wrappers are in good shape. Some of them have some sort of masking tape wrapped around the blade under the wrapper which I thought was weird but maybe they used to come that way. I think these will be for the collection and just fun to look at and if I find one that is stainless and in real good shape I might try to shave with it but it might be a bad idea
~Steve

Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Clive, there is a really old looking Merkur blade that you can have if you want it, just shoot me a pm and its yours
~Steve

The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

I've not tried a Russian-made Gillette blade that I didn't like.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

They make some good ones, no question.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

The Seeker wrote:I've not tried a Russian-made Gillette blade that I didn't like.
That makes two of us. :wink:
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Thanks guys,
I ordered 100 of the Gillette rubies off ebay, cant believe how inexpensive they are, I also ordered some of the Rapira Voskhod blades from Moscow. For those who have used the Rapiras what do you think of the Platinum lux, swedes, or Ladas blades, these are real cheap also and Im thinking of stocking up. I haven't bought new blades in years as ive had hundreds of Feathers but now im down to about 40. Im kinda out of the loop when it comes to keeping up on blade reviews, last time I bought blades Gillette swedes were in huge demand, Israeli personnas also were real popular. I want to try Kai, green and yellow Gillette 7 O'clocks from Russia, Nacets, Personna med preps, and Polisilver Iridiums, so many blades... so little time
The good thing about RBAD is its not so expensive :roll:
~Steve

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm currently using Rapiras with great success and have been for some years now. Under appreciated they are.
Regards,
Squire
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I think for the price Im just gonna order like 50 or so of all of em' that way I can try em all for like $20 or so
~Steve

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sounds reasonable, then bulk buy the ones you like.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

Squire wrote:I'm currently using Rapiras with great success and have been for some years now. Under appreciated they are.
I read where all Rapira blades are the same (different box only) except for the Platinum Luxe. Based on my experiences that sounds about right.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I want to say I've tried three brands from Rapira (or whatever the company is named) and the highest end label is sharper and smoother than the stablemates. The blades may be the same with some getting a bit more edge polishing, coating, or something. Perhaps the top of line are made on the newest machinery and lower priced ones on the older, more worn equipment which doesn't do quite as good a job so the product sells for less.

I'm told this actually happens in factories that spin out zillions of blades daily, that as the machinery gets more worn the blades get less sharp and smooth. Terribly expensive to retool though, hence multiple brands from the same plant. Oh, and the hardest, most expensive steel goes to the new line while more common, more workable steel is fed to the old machinery.

The comment 'same thing under different labels' doesn't take into account inevitable differences caused by production techniques.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:I want to say I've tried three brands from Rapira (or whatever the company is named) and the highest end label is sharper and smoother than the stablemates. The blades may be the same with some getting a bit more edge polishing, coating, or something. Perhaps the top of line are made on the newest machinery and lower priced ones on the older, more worn equipment which doesn't do quite as good a job so the product sells for less.

I'm told this actually happens in factories that spin out zillions of blades daily, that as the machinery gets more worn the blades get less sharp and smooth. Terribly expensive to retool though, hence multiple brands from the same plant. Oh, and the hardest, most expensive steel goes to the new line while more common, more workable steel is fed to the old machinery.

The comment 'same thing under different labels' doesn't take into account inevitable differences caused by production techniques.
This concept makes a lot of sense. I fully agree. It would be impractical to expect the manufacturer to run only the finest, most up to date machinery on all assembly lines, when somewhat less than perfect but quite adequate blades can still be made and sold on the older machinery. The old machines help pay for the newer equipment, while keeping the work force busy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

It's probably more cost effective to sell the old eqpmt. for scrap & buy new eqpmt. that is far more efficient and less labor intensive. As well, it ain't cheap to schlep tons & tons of heavy industrial eqpmt. across continents & all the way to Russia via rail. All that old eqpmt. requires intensive upkeep most likely. Also, we know that since Gillette has offshored everything they are laughing all the way to the bank. To quote Pat Buchanan:
Not since before the Civil War have we been so dependent on foreign goods for the necessities of our national life, including the national defense.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

O.K/ Squire, now tell us which Rapira is the highest end. When I went to ebay almost all the Rapiras were the same price. After I looked at about 20 listings I came to some Rapira Super Swedes that were a couple dollars more for a hundred. Still not sure they are the best.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I believe the Platinum lux is their highest end blade, then I think the Voshkods, swedes, Ladas, and SS in that order
~Steve

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks Big. I will try them.
Ouchmychin (Pete)