Platinum & Rubie Platinum Plus

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Platinum & Rubie Platinum Plus

Post by BPman »

I guess I am confused by the distribution chain regarding these two blades. :? They appear to be Gillette's two best blades yet one is not sold by any American or Canadian vendor & the other is handled by a mere few with an exorbitant price. Something is going on here. The Rubie is exported as a few U.K. vendors sell them. Why don't North American vendors sell these readily? I though the purpose of capitalism was to sell what people want(?). There must be more at play here as I see that Gillette owns The Art of Shaving stores and they sell the Platinum DE blade there for $1 per blade!! :shock:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Platinum & Rubie Platinum Plus

Post by Squire »

A former dealer of my acquaintance tried to become a distributor of similar blades (Swedes I think) and the problem he ran into was a required minimum order of 50,000 blades. It's likely these current high prices are due to small dealers buying at close to retail themselves then marking the price up further.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I hope this is good news for you. I just now checked. The Gillette Platinum is in stock at Razor Blades and More (USA), at a price as low as 34 cents depending on quantity. The Rubie blades (shipped from UK) are listed on ebay at a price of about 26 cents apiece (100 blades) including free shipping. In comparison, those prices are lower than Kai blades which are around 60 cents each, again depending on quantity.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

I bought 200 Rubie Platinum Plus from the 'Bay for approx. $21 per 100 shipped earlier this year. Since Bob in TX rates the modern Gillette Platinum the best I would be curious to know if he's tried the Rubie Platinum Plus. Bob, you out there?
BPman

Post by BPman »

Well, after further testing I can confirm that these two are not the same blade and the Rubie Platinum Plus is the best modern blade that I have ever used, bar none. I have a sneaking suspicion that those crafty Russkies are keeping these close to the vest. :wink: I sure wish the Sharpologist would test one.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

this has been a question for some time.

Ive seen some online retailers claiming the Gillette Platinum is DISCONTINUED by the manufacturer and thus unavailable. But at the same time I see some "hint" by those retailers that the Gillette platinum is "similar/or the same" as the Gillette "swedes".
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Nic I admire your faith in the integrity of marketing. Shows a belief that there are in fact some better angels in our nature.

I take a slightly more skeptical approach preferring to simply try the product and decide for myself.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Only one place still advertises as having Gillette Platinum. Only one place. every other place has taken it off their websites or put that information in, that its discontinued or very similar to, or is the same thing as Gillette "swedes"

Its like lord razor blades. half the world tells you each product label has its own machinery and is different from all the others, and the other half is "if machine area A is caught up on orders, and machine area B is down for maintenance, then area A starts macking blades for the area B label. IE if racer line goes down, platinum plus starts making racers..."
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was able to make a blade swap with a member of the forums a while back, he gave me some Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus blades, and I gave him some Personna hospital use blades. I'm on my final Rubie now, and while I'm not replacing my favorite blades (Kai, Personna hu, Gillette Swede, Gillette Super Stainless) I am adding the Rubies. I got mine on ebay from a seller in Russia, at a total cost of about .22 cents each, including shipping. They tell me it'll take 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. I probably won't even remember ordering them when (if?) they eventually arrive.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

50/50 split of opinion which all adds up to, what? Another burning issue to stir the hearts of shaving geeks everywhere.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Russian postal service has a competent tracking system, with updates available in English. I understand my little package is on the move, most recently cleared customs and headed in this direction. Regarding the Rubie Platinum Plus, I've been using my last remaining Rubie blade daily in the Darwin razor for what seems like about two weeks. The shaves are remarkably smooth, and what started as a mild curiosity on my part seems to be building new levels of respect. The shaves seem to have grown smoother as the days click by. Now they've got my attention.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Update on shipping from Russia --- today's Russian Post tracking tells me the package has reached USA for delivery. I have no reason to doubt it. Must have had a fast plane ride.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Rubies arrived today. The invoice shows I made my purchase on Jan. 6. This means delivery from Russia took 3 weeks and 1 day. It seemed like an eternity. :D I guess we're spoiled rotten with all this 2-3 day Priority USPS rapid delivery.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Just to bring this up to speed. My blades turned out to be counterfeit, as well as Pete's blades. We both received refunds from the seller.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday's shave with the Russian made Gillette Platinum Plus Rubie blade in the Darwin razor was number 13. It was still performing quite well, but sometimes I think maybe it's just time to load another new blade. These are good blades.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday I decided to match the Rubie with the Phoenix Double Open Comb (DOC). That combination seems to be very good also.
Gary

John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Interesting! But your Russian Rubie Platinum Plus were counterfeit? And still perform well? Just checked ebay and what are being advertised as Rubie Platinum Plus blades from Russian right now are $1 per blade.
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

John Parker wrote:Interesting! But your Russian Rubie Platinum Plus were counterfeit? And still perform well? Just checked ebay and what are being advertised as Rubie Platinum Plus blades from Russian right now are $1 per blade.
Wow John, you missed something! :D After I complained to ebay, I got a full immediate refund from the seller, who also disappeared from ebay. I seem to recall posting all of the tedious details in this and related threads on this subject. Anyway, Gillette wrote me back and asked me to hold onto the counterfeit blades and all of the associated packaging, etc. in case they want to take me up on my offer to send them the counterfeits. Simultaneously, after reading about other SMF members who bought authentic Rubies from a different Russian seller, I ordered some for myself, in addition to the authentic Rubies I bought from TryABlade. My counterfeit Rubies were nothing but crap. They didn't perform at all (as blades - no cutting).
Gary

John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Sorry, Gary. Guess I did miss all that.
John
BPman

Post by BPman »

Did you fellas ever get your hands on some real Rubies in bulk?