Any Gillettte mild safety razor out there?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
chris1978

Any Gillettte mild safety razor out there?

Post by chris1978 »

I'm getting Better shave lately by using Gillette Tech fat handle in gold. I really like the razor. It's very comfortable shave. I would like to know if there's any Gillette safety razor out there that are mild? Aristocrat in open tooth or closed comb? Regent tech TTO or Sheraton? 1920's or 1930s to 1940's in three pence or one piece TTO?

Are blue tip are supposed to be Mild and lighter? I think there little aggressive. I have Super Spoed from late 40's but it not good for me.

Chris A
brothers

Re: Any Gillettte mild safety razor out there?

Post by brothers »

chris1978 wrote:. . . Are blue tip are supposed to be Mild and lighter? I think there little aggressive. . . Chris A
I think the blue tip Super Speed razors have a reputation for being on the mild side.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It's been years since I've used one at this setting so I don't remember, but their adjustables set to "1" are reputed to be quite mild. I think I remember someone writing that they are milder than a Tech. Of course you dial in the shave experience that you want.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
BPman

Post by BPman »

All Gillette OC razors are more aggressive than the bar razors. The late 1940's Aristocrat & Super Speed models are the best shavers for that model. The best Tech is the Made in Canada pre-war one as it shaves just a tad more aggressively than a regular pre-war U.S. Tech. It's my "go to" Tech. I do 90% of my shaving between it & a Schick Krona. I shaved today with a Canada pre-war Tech and a new Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge blade (yellow). DFS. =D>
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, if you are happy with a post-WWII US-made Tech (which is what you have) and you find the '40s-style Super Speed too aggressive, the closest thing to the Tech would be a Blue-Tip Super Speed. This is the mildest of the Super Speeds and it often (if not always) has an aluminum handle.

Pre-WWII US Techs and Techs made in other countries tend to be more aggressive, which is not what you are looking for.

Gillette Adjustables, as Brian pointed out, are very mild at low settings. I would estimate that my 1960 Fatboy Adjustable is as mild as a Tech at a setting of 3. I tend to use it at 4 and it is still pretty mild.

Other than the Blue-Tip Super Speed and the Adjustables at low settings, I think you will find all other Gillettes to be more aggressive than you want.

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Lots of good advice here ...... for me, my UK gold Tech pre-WWII is probably the most mildest razor I own - much more so than my blue-tipped Super Speed. My black-handled super adjustable at 1 is mildest of all my adjustables .... including my Fatboy. Head profiles differ, and that's what seems to drive the varying degrees of "agressiveness".

Of course, some would argue that a razor becomes less aggressive as one lessens the degree of attack on your beard. ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Wendell has a good point. I don't find the Futur to be aggressive even though it has a good bit more blade exposure than my Krona, of course I don't use either very aggressively.
Regards,
Squire
preidy

Post by preidy »

Most multi users of the Super Speed indicate that with each re-design 0f the S.S. (1940/1950/1960's) style the shaver have become milder. I have a 1940's, 1950's and a 1974 design (HS Grad yr) I just picked up for $10. Although I don't find the 1940's S.S. aggressive, I can somewhat concur that the newer models are milder and still give a great shave. There are plenty of 1970's style (black handle) S.S. out there. It may be worth a try to pick one up as they can be had for next to nothing. Good luck.
BPman

Post by BPman »

I have a 1st year SS (1947 'no notch') and IMO it's a frog hair more aggressive than my '48 Aristocrat and my early 50's 'Black Tip". However, you have to be paying almost scientific attention to notice this and even that may just be my imagination if I were honest. I also have a Gillette Rocket 'Flare Tip" that is simply a dream to use. It shaves like the latter ones. Lately, I have been ignoring my Techs & Krona to use the these SS models.
brothers

Post by brothers »

BPman wrote:I have a 1st year SS (1947 'no notch') and IMO it's a frog hair more aggressive than my '48 Aristocrat and my early 50's 'Black Tip". However, you have to be paying almost scientific attention to notice this and even that may just be my imagination if I were honest. I also have a Gillette Rocket 'Flare Tip" that is simply a dream to use. It shaves like the latter ones. Lately, I have been ignoring my Techs & Krona to use the these SS models.
I've got one of the no notch Aristocrats from '46/'47, and it's a closer shaver than the '48 and up Aristocrats. I wasn't aware that these are considered Super Speeds.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

brothers wrote:I've got one of the no notch Aristocrats from '46/'47, and it's a closer shaver than the '48 and up Aristocrats. I wasn't aware that these are considered Super Speeds.
The post-war Aristocrat uses the same head as the early Super-Speeds. Compare them SxS.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/a ... tion.8461/
brothers

Post by brothers »

Very enlightening. Thanks! I also have a 46 Ranger Tech SS.
Gary

BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

It's been years since I've used one at this setting so I don't remember, but their adjustables set to "1" are reputed to be quite mild
Oh yes, they are indeed. In a different thread, a couple of us have been discussing using very low settings on Gillette adjustables. Lately, I've been having great luck with my black-handled Super Adjustable dialed all the way down to "1". Honestly, I find it shaves as close as anything else, but SO gently it's just amazing.

Super Adjustable at "1" is the mildest thing I've ever used, and I've been getting some terrific shaves from it. Might be worth checking out!
Tallships

Post by Tallships »

I've have a number of vintage Gillette's that are mild, the Ball Tech is among the Mildest that I have
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

new improved open comb
old type open comb

the techs, depending on blade selection and user skill.

THe super adjustable is awful good at 3 with the right blade. mine LOVES Wilkinson german. SA and slims at 1 or 2 don't seem to shave at all, not even against the grain.

my flare... well its efficient. can do 4 days of stubble in a single pass. but way to harsh on my face. Its, shave on sunday, hope face is shavable on Thursday with my techs.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Maybe not the same as the "new," but my experience with the Gillette NEW open comb was that it was the most aggressive razor I ever attempted to use. Not mild by any stretch of the imagination.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

my new improved is MILD> its milder then my 53 tech with the same blades. It has a great balance and handle length once you get used to it. it kind of seems to like a thinner lather.