7 O'Clock Sharp Plastic Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Ouchmychin

7 O'Clock Sharp Plastic Razor

Post by Ouchmychin »

When I ordered my Rapira blades on ebay, the follow up had links to recommended other products. One of them was a Gillette 7 O'Closck Sharp razor. It was black plastic and came with one blade which looked to be in a black wrapper. Cost was less than 5 bucks. Has any member ever tried one of these razors. I was thinking of sharing my great excess of D.E. blades with my son but he has never used anything but disposable razors. Hate to be cheap but good used razors are now pretty steep on ebay. Of course, I could give him my Tall Slim black razor since I can't seem to get the hang of it. Then I would feel it might give him trouble too.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ShadowsDad

Re: 7 O'Clock Sharp Plastic Razor

Post by ShadowsDad »

Hi Pete, never used the razor in question, but regarding the Gillette, why not loan it to him and if he likes it then present him with it?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

If you mean the 7 O'Clock Permasharp, that is a super-cheap razor with a flip-up hinged plastic top. The 7 O'Clock Sterling has a metal head, and it's still cheap.

You might want to consider the Wilkinson Classic, which is quite classy for a plastic TTO razor. You also might get lucky at a local antique store.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ouchmychin wrote: . . . . Hate to be cheap . . . .
I hate to overspend, particularly on daily use disposable items like razor blades. Fortunately bargains abound if we wait and keep on the lookout for deals.

Pete I got good service from the flip top plastic DE razors (is there more than one design?) but found them just a bit too mild and lightweight for my use. Good giveaways to new shavers though, and feel more familiar to one used to the plastic disposables.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I just purchased a Monarch Butterfly razor because the handle is metal and it is a butterfly type and came in a snazzy holder with 20 blades. We'll see what I got. :?:
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

A TTO is especially good for a new user. I never liked juggling a blade and two head pieces.

There's also the Schick Krona. I just checked eBay used prices, and they vary a lot, roughly $10 to $30. You could get lucky with one that has bidders rather than "buy it now".
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I put in a bid for $12.99 for one, probably won't get it.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Worth having at twice the price, the Krona is a real workhorse.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Twice that price is probably more in the neighborhood of a winning bid if it turns out there are more than one serious bidder. A flea market or maybe a less than high end antique store might yield a usable Krona at a bit lower price.
Last edited by brothers on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

Squire wrote:Worth having at twice the price, the Krona is a real workhorse.
Sometimes I stray for a bit, but I always come home to the Krona. Pure simplistic functionality. =D>