Personna Great Britain

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Personna Great Britain

Post by BPman »

I snagged this NOS pack recently in a small lot buy. I have read that they were outstanding blades and from the late 60's to early 70's. Well, for me it was simply dreadful. Painfully 'tuggy'. I couldn't even shave one side of my face. I had high hopes for these and it was a NOS sealed pack as well:

brothers

Re: Personna Great Britain

Post by brothers »

That's a bummer! Too bad.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Too bad, but at least you tried. If you've only used one blade in the pack, you might try a second, just to be sure you didn't accidentally hit a dud blade on your first try.

Also, I would've said that the blades might have deteriorated over the years, but that seems pretty unlikely with a NOS, sealed-package, stainless blade.

I have a particular interest in NOS blades, but don't personally know this particular British blade (others here, however, surely will). Personna is well known for marketing a multiplicity of blades (of, frankly, widely differing quality). Are you certain this blade (and not, say, the NOS Personna 74) was what you had in mind?

Finally, although I enjoy an occasional shave with a NOS blade, truthfully there are number of good, current production blades that may deliver for you more consistently. NOS has the nostalgia factor, but that has to be balanced against practicality and performance.

Anyway, sorry it was a bad experience. On to the next blade!
BPman

Post by BPman »

BeatlesFan wrote:...Are you certain this blade (and not, say, the NOS Personna 74) was what you had in mind?...

Yes, that is what I had read about this particular blade on another forum. It has about as much in common with the Personna 74 as Donald Trump has with Mother Teresa. :P :wink: In the same lot there was an unopened 10 pack of 1960's Personna Super Platinum blades as well. I tried one of those today and it was far better. It shaved like an older U.S. Personna blade, however the newer U.S. or Israeli Personnas are better IMO.

I have tried all the older "Golden Age" blades and and a relative handful are great. Personally, I think we are living in the "Platinum Age" of DE blades where we are blessed in that there is a veritable cornucopia of superb blades to choose from. =D>
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BPman wrote: I have tried all the older "Golden Age" blades and and a relative handful are great. Personally, I think we are living in the "Platinum Age" of DE blades where we are blessed in that there is a veritable cornucopia of superb blades to choose from. =D>
I would tend to agree with you here. I have a pretty good supply of vintage DE blades and I find the Personna 74s the only real standouts (and by quite a margin). Otherwise, I'm very well served by a number of blades in current production, which I consider to be just as good as anything made in the past.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:...I would tend to agree with you here. I have a pretty good supply of vintage DE blades and I find the Personna 74s the only real standouts (and by quite a margin)...
Murray, have you ever tried the Schick Plus Platinum? It was the ne plus ultra of the 'Golden Era' blades made by Schick and just a half rung up from their superb Krona-Chrome & Super Chromium, which the latter two were the same blade but had a name change due to legal reasons when Schick was sold again at the time. I would rank the Personna 74, Schick Plus Platinum & the Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' the best three of that era. Which of the three is the best is purely subjective of course. :wink:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I have a pretty good supply of Schick Plus Platinum and some Super Chromium. I like them, but there is nothing special about them. I don't find them any better than modern blades. I've also had Light Brigade Wilks, but I find them harsh and I was fortunate enough to be able to trade mine for Personna 74s. Even so, my supply of 74s is limited.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

Ironically, I find the Personna 74 & Wilkie 'Light Brigade' very similar and a tad 'hard'. To my face the Schick is smoother. I freely admit however that I am not as 'seduced' by vintage blades as I once thought I was (if that makes sense :lol: ). Science has progressed and I think Gillette in Russia has got things down pretty pat. :wink:
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I would add NOS Gillette Platinum Plus to the vintage blade Hall of Fame. Superb, IMO.

But I tend to agree that some current production blades are right up there. For me, I'd rate the Polsilver Super Iridium and the Personna Hospital Use as being fully competitive with anything ever produced.

But those Platinum Plus blades were ...wow. They can't take away our memories!