Question for Squire: Why Derby?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BeatlesFan

Question for Squire: Why Derby?

Post by BeatlesFan »

Ok, so, this may be as good a time as any to start off by re-stating what most of us already know: probably nobody alive knows more about DE blades than Squire. The testing, reviews, examination, etc. over many years of all those blades puts him in a class by himself. He is our very own DE blade oracle!

Here, then, is my question: I note that, with all this vast wealth of accumulated blade knowledge, most times in the SOTD you shave with a Derby. Why Derby? So many choices; so much knowledge-base. You've toured the world of blades, and yet you've seemingly settled down with the mild and unassuming Derby.

Now, I happen to like Derby blades. They are, IMO, reasonably sharp but exceptionally smooth and comfortable. Still, it's not high on "wow" factor as a blade. Yet you've chosen this (possible somewhat mundane, workaday) blade as your "go to."

Care to shed any light?
BiffBuff

Re: Question for Squire: Why Derby?

Post by BiffBuff »

I'm keen to see the replies -- I like Derby blades pretty well (Astra SP is my current go-to)

I'm finding, as I move forward in my shaving journey, that the different blades make less and less difference -- it's the skill improvement that stands out, for me, as the pivotal factor in shave quality. I own hundreds of Astra SP blades -- does that affect my judgement? if so, how would I know?

Maybe Squire owns a thousand Derby blades . . . .
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

At least, my last order was for 1500 when a merchant had a closeout some years ago. One would think with dozens of brands and numerous cartons of blades on hand I would be somewhat methodical, such as match a blade with specific razors, that sort of thing. Truth is my approach today is merely practical.

Loose packs and single wrapped blades have been randomly tossed into zip lock bags that are stacked in the bottom drawer. When my new blade holder (pewter shaving mug) grows empty I refill it from the closest bag and when reaching for a blade grab whichever ones landed on top. Currently that's a bunch of Derbys and Rapiras, followed by various 7 O'clocks. I will get to them all eventually.

That or my estate will put them up on ebay so if I ever quit posting again you guys know where to look.
Regards,
Squire
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

ROFL!! And here I pictured this HIGHLY structured process, involving custom-written computer software for DE blade selection, using algorithms based on past razor and blade pairings, spreadsheets about blade-longevity, a humidity-controlled storage unit, possibly a computer-operated automat-type of system that allowed you to dial in your razor-and-blade of choice, which would then be automatically delivered to you! Everything PRECISELY tuned to deliver the EXACT product you require, all based on your VAST reserve of blade-lore.

But no! We hear of blades being tossed higgledy-piggledy hither and yon, grabbing whatever comes to hand, and generally approaching the whole business with blithe indifference to any kind of systematic process . . .! All that knowledge and study . . . only to end up in near total chaos!!

No matter. You remain the a deity in the world of DE blades, and I admire your relaxed approach to the whole business!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah, blithe indifference, I like that. My blade storage units are a couple of cardboard boxes from the liquor store. Of course I had to empty the original contents to make room for the blades.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

It could be that the practice of using any blade of any brand for a maximum of one or two shaves indicates virtually all new edges shave better than edges with more than one or two shaves. New is better than used.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Since my eyesight has irreversibly deteriorated beyond the point where I can see through a microscope (gave mine to a friend's 10 year old son) I'm toying with the idea of doing something with blades. Stropping perhaps, to extend their longevity, now there's ground to explore. Boont of naught perhaps but what's the use of a hobby if not for messing around with stuff.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Squire wrote:At least, my last order was for 1500 when a merchant had a closeout some years ago. One would think with dozens of brands and numerous cartons of blades on hand I would be somewhat methodical, such as match a blade with specific razors, that sort of thing. Truth is my approach today is merely practical.

Loose packs and single wrapped blades have been randomly tossed into zip lock bags that are stacked in the bottom drawer. When my new blade holder (pewter shaving mug) grows empty I refill it from the closest bag and when reaching for a blade grab whichever ones landed on top. Currently that's a bunch of Derbys and Rapiras, followed by various 7 O'clocks. I will get to them all eventually.

That or my estate will put them up on ebay so if I ever quit posting again you guys know where to look.
Does that last sentence mean that your body or ashes are going up on ebay for us to bid on? :D
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Bid on it now if you like but deposits are non refundable.
Regards,
Squire
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Squire wrote:Since my eyesight has irreversibly deteriorated beyond the point where I can see through a microscope (gave mine to a friend's 10 year old son) I'm toying with the idea of doing something with blades. Stropping perhaps, to extend their longevity, now there's ground to explore. Boont of naught perhaps but what's the use of a hobby if not for messing around with stuff.

Is it possible to strop a DE blade? I haven't even figured out how to strop an SE blade and those have
a spine. :|
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh yes, my Dad and other WW2 Vets had some innovative ways of extending the life of DE blades by stropping, edge of a glass, old belt, whatever came to mind for a generation who learned to shave with a straight and learned frugality from the Great Depression. They figured any edge could be honed and with carbon steel blades they were correct.

Of course by the 60s they had gotten affluent and moved on to electric razors shunning that old fashioned stuff their Fathers had used.
Regards,
Squire