Progress vs Futur -- favorite settings

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BiffBuff

Progress vs Futur -- favorite settings

Post by BiffBuff »

I just got a Merkur Progress and I'm keen to start shaving! I'm a veteran wet shaver with a bias toward efficient razors like the R41. I was wondering how other folks use their modern day adjustables -- my idea is to start with an Astra SP blade and set the Progress dial at 4.

The real appeal of an adjustable safety razor for me is the fact that after my normal three passes I can dial the razor down to minimal blade exposure/gap and do a polishing/buffing pass. I am planning on doing this for my inaugural Progress shave -- does anybody have any alternate suggestions? Really, any input would be welcome -- I've heard that the Futur is more aggressive than the Progress, so I will be eager to hear from the Futur fans to understand the differences between these two fine "current production" razors.
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Progress vs Futur -- favorite settings

Post by Squire »

Biff I used a Progress daily for six months determined to find the "just right" combination of settings and blades. Didn't work out for me and I believe that was due to the length/girth handle, head geometry and overall balance. Fine razor, I eventually gave it away. It is a great favorite among the shaving crowd.

After using a number of adjustable razors over the years I currently use just two, Gillette Super Adjustable long handle and Merkur Futur.

The Gillette is set between 2-3 depending on the blade, the Futur, a marvelously designed, well crafted, beautifully balanced shaving tool, stays on a setting of 1.5 for all blades from Feathers to common Lord brands.

The Gillette makes me work slightly depending on blade/setting, the Futur glides blissfully along and all I have to do is lightly hold the handle.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I require mild razors, so I bought a Mergress and use it only on the lowest setting. I find this to be amazingly efficient while still mild.

Since mine is a "Mergress," it has the custom-machined metal knob at the end of the handle in the place of the standard plastic one. In this form, I really like the balance of the razor. I have not held a standard Progress, so I can't compare them.

- Murray
gwsmallwood

Post by gwsmallwood »

I have both and use them for head and face shaving. I actually find the Progress more efficient. Adjusting the Futur just seems to open up the gap without changing the actual exposure at all. I overclock my Progress and run it at 1.5 the second time around (6.5 equivalent).