Merkur 34C vs 38C for first time?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
php111

Merkur 34C vs 38C for first time?

Post by php111 »

Hello,

For first time, which one would be more friendly and does not get too aggresive towards me, lol between the Merkur 34C or 38C or other and if other than please describe. Thanks!
pausted

Re: Merkur 34C vs 38C for first time?

Post by pausted »

My favorite razor is a 34G (the gold plated version of the 34C). As far as I know, the 38 is the same as the 34 except with a longer handle. It probably weighs a bit more. The handle on the 34C is fine for me, and I don't think I would want it any longer. The 34 is a mild but very effective razor. I would not part with mine and highly recommend it. If you are new to wet shaving, get a good, easy to lather soap or cream and shave slowly, using NO pressure. Let the razor do the work. There are a lot of folks on this forum who can give you good advise. Don't hesitate to ask.
Best regards,

Basil
php111

Post by php111 »

Thank you so much! And if I buy a 34G, which blades to buy?
pausted

Post by pausted »

Blades are a very individual choice. You would get different answers depending on who you ask. I recommend that you buy a blade sampler pack, work through several different blades until you find the best match for your skin, your shaving style and your beard type. Hope that helps.
Best regards,

Basil
php111

Post by php111 »

Could other members please respond so I could ask which blades to use for the Merkur 34C? Oh, and about my beard. Forget that at times I look like a mountain man or it looks like I came from the jungle, lol. I am Italian.
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I found Derby to be a reasonably forgiving "starter blade" but pausted's suggestion of a blade sampler is the way to go. Have fun trying out the different blades, but conventional wisdom dictates that a neophyte try to keep changes in the shaving routine -- either prep or equipment -- to only one item at a time.

To experience a pretty good and satisfying shave on tuesday with razor X, blade Y, and cream Z -- followed on wednesday with a disappointing shave with razor A, blade B, and cream C is quite common among newcomers to DE shaving. This kind of mishap can be avoided or minimized by curbing the temptation to dive in full speed ahead with trying new gear and consumables.

Slow and steady wins the race yet again!
disengage
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Both of those razors are too aggressive for me. I prefer the Merkur Progress at its lowest setting.

As a starting point, I choose the razor for my skin and the blade for my beard. I have very sensitive skin, so I use a gentle/mild razor. I have a coarse beard, so I use one of the sharper blades (Personna Med Prep/Hospital Use, Perma-Sharp Super, Treet DuraSharp, etc). Feather blades, however, are too sharp for me.

As BiffBuff pointed out, you want to keep variables to a minimum, especially when starting out. I would personally recommend against a sampler pack of blades until you have worked out your basic technique and you will be able to distinguish between problems of technique and blades that don't work for you. If you start swapping blades before you have your basic technique established, it will impede learning and create confusion.

From your statement about being Italian and sometimes looking like a mountain man, I'm guessing that you have a heavy beard. I would therefore recommend starting with a fairly sharp and universally liked blade, such as a Personna Med Prep/Hospital Use or Astra, and stick with that for at least a couple of months while you work out your basic shaving technique. Then try a sample pack of blades after that.

Note that as your technique evolves, your favorite blades made change, too.

Good luck!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

PHP111, if you wish, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you some Personna hospital use blades (aka prep) blades. Offer's good in CONUS only, and applies to anyone else, by the way.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444