Tech love...

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Tech love...

Post by StGeorge »

I'm getting some real nice shaves off my battered old Travel Tech so I've order a mint fat handled one - I thought you all ought to know......
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
preidy

Re: Tech love...

Post by preidy »

I just finished a BBS with my 67 British Sportman Tech. Used a Voshkod - very smooth. I have 3 other Tech's; 54, 59 and NDC that I plan on passing down to my son and grandsons (in about 10-20 years) when they have time. I find with the Techs' I need to work alittle harder to get a BBS, but hey, I now have the time. One note. My British Tech I find just a tad more agressive that it's US cousins. I also have the best luck with sharper blades - mainly Rapira, Med Prep and G. Platiums.
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

preidy wrote:I just finished a BBS with my 67 British Sportman Tech. Used a Voshkod - very smooth. I have 3 other Tech's; 54, 59 and NDC that I plan on passing down to my son and grandsons (in about 10-20 years) when they have time. I find with the Techs' I need to work alittle harder to get a BBS, but hey, I now have the time. One note. My British Tech I find just a tad more agressive that it's US cousins. I also have the best luck with sharper blades - mainly Rapira, Med Prep and G. Platiums.
I'm not sure if the fat handled one I've ordered is British but a bit more aggressive is fine as I have an Aristocrat which is great and sounds similar.
Tony

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm a fan of the Tech, myself. I used a gold, thick-handled Tech almost exclusively for three years. Out of admiration for this particular Gillette design, I have picked up a few different ones for the "collection."

- Murray
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

CMur12 wrote:I'm a fan of the Tech, myself. I used a gold, thick-handled Tech almost exclusively for three years. Out of admiration for this particular Gillette design, I have picked up a few different ones for the "collection."

- Murray
I've gone for the silver thick handled version, it looks quite nice in the picture, I hope it has some heft as I prefer that.
Tony

pausted

Post by pausted »

I have two or three different Techs and have found that installing a heavier handle ( all brass or stainless) improves the shave. The head design of the Tech is terrific.
Best regards,

Basil
BPman

Post by BPman »

The most aggressive of all the Tech models is the Canadian pre-war 'fat handle' as it has a larger blade gap. Of course, it's still mild for most people, but IMO it's the most efficient Tech model of all. I like mine even better than the lauded English 'flat bottom' Tech.
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

preidy wrote:I just finished a BBS with my 67 British Sportman Tech. Used a Voshkod - very smooth. I have 3 other Tech's; 54, 59 and NDC that I plan on passing down to my son and grandsons (in about 10-20 years) when they have time. I find with the Techs' I need to work alittle harder to get a BBS, but hey, I now have the time. One note. My British Tech I find just a tad more agressive that it's US cousins. I also have the best luck with sharper blades - mainly Rapira, Med Prep and G. Platiums.
You are right, my English fat handled Tech is a bit more aggressive than my "Travel" Tech, I used it today and it was noticeably more aggressive. I got a touch of razor burn in one spot using a Polsilver blade, not massive but I noticed it afterwards. I think Derby's may suit me better in the new fat handled tech and sharper blades in the milder version.
Tony

StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

BPman wrote:The most aggressive of all the Tech models is the Canadian pre-war 'fat handle' as it has a larger blade gap. Of course, it's still mild for most people, but IMO it's the most efficient Tech model of all. I like mine even better than the lauded English 'flat bottom' Tech.
Aggressive razors just don't work for me, the milder the better in my experience, my Travel tech is becoming a bit of a favourite now.
Tony