Rapira Sweedish Supersteel Blade Razor Combinations

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Ouchmychin

Rapira Sweedish Supersteel Blade Razor Combinations

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have been trying the Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades in my normal razor rotation. To my surprise I found that it worked very well in some and not in others. To be specific, it loved the Futur, giving me super smooth shaves with no pulling. Same with the Schick Krona. Not so with the Fatboy. Each hair pulled and the shave was unpleasant. Same soap for each and same prep. All were first shaves from a brand new blade. The Fatboy had to be set super aggressive to get close. At a setting of 8 I could polish to bbs with the combo but not without a lot of scraping. I noticed that I had the same experience with the Gillette Rubie. I am using these blades for only 2 shaves currently because I notice a deterioration thereafter and I have plenty of blades to get rid of.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Rapira Sweedish Supersteel Blade Razor Combinations

Post by Squire »

That's happened to me a few times Pete, my solution was to match the blade to the razor.
Regards,
Squire
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Pete, how would you say these swedes compare to the platinum lux or Voshkod by Rapira? I think on my next Russian order I want some of these swedes and maybe some Sputniks
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
BPman

Post by BPman »

The Rapiras are an OK blade IMO with the Lux the best of the lot. That said, there is a reason that the Gillette Sputnik is the No. 1 selling blade in Russia. It's cheap (there) and sharper/smoother than these others. That said, only one vendor carries Sputnik and they aren't cheap here in the USA. IMO Voshkod is the most overrated blade on the Internet. :roll:
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Big,I only ordered the Swedes based on advice in another thread. I don't know about the others. I think they are about the same as Rubies for a lot less money. And I think they are better than the Kais I have tried.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

And I think they are better than the Kais I have tried
talk about overrated internetness :D :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, I may have misunderstood, but I think you say you can only use these blades for two shaves, but at the same time, they are better than Kai blades in your opinion. One would think a blade that only lasts 2 shaves would be less than optimal?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I judge by the quality of the first two shaves. Long wear is not important to me. I have more than enough blades to last me all my life (I am 85).
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, now I understand!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Rock on Pete.
Regards,
Squire