Jazzing Up an AS-D2

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
churchilllafemme

Jazzing Up an AS-D2

Post by churchilllafemme »

After trying many different modern and vintage razors, I finally settled on the Feather AS-D2 as my only razor because of the close, very smooth shaves it gives me with great vintage blades like Wilkinson Light Brigades. My only complaint was that it was kind of boring, both to look and to hold. So I decided to jazz it up a bit, mainly by adding new handles. Jay at Delta Echo coated several handles (and a spare razor head) for me, and Toby at Triad created some new handles, bead blasting some of the bright stainless steel parts so that the handles complement the satin Feather head nicely. Here they are, with the heads, from L to R: stock, 'Stealth,' Bulldog, Bamboo, 'Grooves,' 'Electric Blue,' Aristocrat, Highland Green, and 'Techno.'

And here, briefly, are the various handle-head combinations. A bonus is that each handle has its own unique feel in my hand.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
_______
John
Big Swifty

Re: Jazzing Up an AS-D2

Post by Big Swifty »

John,
lots of really good looking handles there! In your photo of the handles I think I like the one dead center and the one on the far right the best of the lot...
but they all are quite nice
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I admire your passion John, shave geekery at it's finest.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Very impressive John. Thanks for the showcase! I've never seen anything quite so comprehensive. You've obviously devoted a lot of work and expense getting to this point. Congrats!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Thanks, guys. Jay and Toby were great gentlemen to work with, both very open to hearing my ideas and quite willing to discuss possibilities, technical aspects, difficulties, and options.
_______
John
churchilllafemme

I just added a Hempel bead-blasted stainless Wide Spiral handle to the stable. I'll have to get used to its heaviness, but I think it complements the Feather heads quite nicely.
ImageImage
_______
John