How often do you change the powered handle of your razor?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
TigerNightmare

How often do you change the powered handle of your razor?

Post by TigerNightmare »

I've been happy with Gillette's Fusion ProGlide Power James Bond X-Men Ultra Mega Laser 5000™ for about 2-3 years, but recently, the AAA battery burst and left crusty white battery fluid sand inside. Changing the battery made it go again, but now it doesn't vibrate at the same intensity as consistently as it did. Sometimes I turn it on and it goes right away, but I tend to get a weak, worthless hum. I cleaned the exploded battery gunk out, but that didn't seem to help. I don't think I can fix it.

I know it won't cost more than $20 to replace it, but I think it's dumb that these things just wear out and you're stuck buying another one because you bought a 16 pack of extra blade cartridges that cost $60 at Costco.

Or do they? Is it weird that mine just breaks out of nowhere or does this typically happen? What do you smooth-faced gentlemen say?
BeatlesFan

Re: How often do you change the powered handle of your razor

Post by BeatlesFan »

Well, as this is your first posting on SMF, allow me to be the first to extend a warm welcome. Here you will find the opportunity to delve as deeply as you wish into wet-shaving products and techniques, and "talk shop" with many intelligent and informative gentlemen. It's a great place.

That said, the emphasis here is strongly on traditional shave products, such as single-edge, double-edge, straight (open) razors, as well as brushes, shaving soaps and creams, etc. While certainly some members use cartridge razors (I myself use one for air travel), many members came here expressly to learn and share ideas about traditional methods and tools.

Consequently, you may (I hazard a guess that you WILL) soon receive a reply along the lines of,"Ditch the battery gizmo plasticky thingy, and acquire some decent kit, such as a quality double edge razor, then you'll be guaranteed never again to have a handle get destroyed by battery guck." Or words to that effect.

If such a suggestion intrigues you, I would politely direct you both to the "ShaveMyFace University" section and to the Safety Razors and Blades" section to learn more. You might, indeed, soon get drawn to this type of specialty shaving. Partly due to the hideous price of cartridges, partly due to some of the shaving problems many men experience with cartridges, traditional razors and affiliated traditional products are enjoying a strong market resurgence.

Anyway, welcome, and have a bit of a noodle around our site to het a feel for our interests, if you're so inclined. I'm very confident that, if you spent some time here, you could pick up lots of new and useful information.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have used a Fusion for years. I can tell you that I change the battery when it slows down or quits. Never had a battery fall apart. I believe the caustic inside may have damaged the contacts inside of yours based on what you describe. I would just go to ebay and look for another that is cheap and buy it. I use nothing but Duracell batteries.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
TigerNightmare

Post by TigerNightmare »

BeatlesFan, I made extra sure to post in the right section, and it was here that I found a great comparison between the razor I have and the competing Schick model. Not sure I'll ever go the single, double or straight route, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving them a try should the circumstances arise. I'm more of a once a week shave type of guy. I hate having a beard and its own version of grooming/maintenance that I feel is worse than shaving. Women keep saying I look good with stubble, so until someone comes along that compels me to be smooth on the daily, Monday mornings are gonna be it for me. I'm pretty happy with the Fusion system after only using Norelco and Braun electric shavers previously.

Ouchmychin, I only use Duracell too, but not really out of any brand loyalty or preference. Regular batteries like these don't really have a lot of variance in quality across different brands. The contacts look clean after some thorough rinsing and Qtip swabbing. Weird thing happened this morning where I was woken up by a strange rumbling sound. I got out of bed and it was the razor on my table, having turned itself on. Last night it was vibrating weakly and I was messing with it and I tested the feature where it turns itself off automatically after 8 minutes. It kept turning itself on with full normal vibration, but I think it's working normally now. I don't know if constantly being shower steam adjacent was somehow a factor or if it was just intermittent power from dirty contacts screwing with the microchip, but it looks like I won't have to blow more money after all.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Best stuff for cleaning corroded electrical contacts that's likely to be around the house is acetic acid. If you can get it more concentrated than vinegar (eg Kodak Stop Bath) even better. Dip a Q-tip and wipe away the crud. Having said that, I have never changed the power supply of any of my straight razors!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I have a Wahl trimmer and a battery leaked and the power was down. It only takes a few Ohms contact resistance to "throttle" the power to the motor. I stripped it down and buffed up the contacts with Scotchbrite - better than ever now.
Rick
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I think the Scotchbrite/vinegar solution will probably solve your problem. I love shaving with a double edge safety razor myself, but I respect the more modern razors. I guess razors are now like so many modern gadgets we use -- battery powered.

I've found that one of the most useful things I've purchased recently is a battery tester.

Give one of these a try, or shave without the battery -- you know, old school.
disengage
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, TigerNightmare!

Sounds like you got some good advice here, after all.

I actually have a beard and I shave my neck. I was able to use cartridge razors with two blades, but more blades threatened to tear me up, so I stuck to the Gillette Contour/Atra and the Schick Tracer until I went back to single-blade shaving.

Use what works for you.

- Murray