Dorco 301t is not great

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
chris1978

Dorco 301t is not great

Post by chris1978 »

Hi everyone

Long time no see. I'm having problem with Dorco 301T DE Blade during shaving. I've been using thus blade about a month now and it ok not great. I got more than few nicks and little redness. In the beginning it w as fine and few nicks like two nicks every time during the shave. I'm going to give up this And try Cyrstal blade if it is good for sensitive skins. The razor I'm using is Gillette gold tech three pieces late 40's. Dorco blade is not worth it. It doesn't cut the hair well.

My beard is medium to thick that need something to have good blade for sensitive skins and that is not too mild not too sharp.

Pleas help me my problem. Do you I should try using crystal or Wilkson or lord. I have try Petsonna blade and it ok but it left me my skin got nicks or redness. Can you give me some blade so that I can try. If you have some please send me PM.

Chris A
brothers

Re: Dorco 301t is not great

Post by brothers »

Wow, Chris. I sent you several dozen blades a year or so back, for this very reason. There were a number of different brands. I think I saw a post of yours just a few months later saying you had given them all to your brother or cousin or someone. What happened?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

Gary

I gave to my brother almost all of them. I don't to be too risky that might be too sharp for my medium to heavy beard.

Chris A
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, as a rule of thumb, I start by choosing the razor for the skin (mild razor for me with sensitive skin) and the blade for the beard (sharper blades for me with my coarse, but not dense, beard). From there, you need to experiment to see what works for you.

I don't know why you keep getting so many nicks. If the blade doesn't cut the whiskers easily and you are applying more pressure to make the cut, you may need a sharper blade than you have been using. If you try a sharper blade, be especially careful not to apply pressure to the razor (use a light touch).

The only blade I would recommend against even trying is the Feather, which is beyond sharp.

- Murray
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Chris, when you shave, is the rounded top of the head piece touching your skin? It should be. The bar near the blade should not touch your skin, in the same way that when riding your bike you should stay away from the fence - the fence is there just in case, for safety, and you shouldn't be crashing into it all the time. :)

When the razor is in the middle of your cheek, the handle should be pointing at the wall, not at the floor.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, I agree with David/notthesharpest about blade angle. My experience with the Tech is that whenever I have had any doubt that I have it at the right angle, I rock it a little towards the dome (away from the safety bar), and that almost invariably improves the shave (better cut and less scraping).

- Murray
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

What are your saying? I have three safety razors that straight bar: Merkurv34c, Gillette late 1940's super speed and Gillette gold tech. Should I be do shaving with open comb instead of closed comb? I don't get it. The blue tip is safety bar aka straight bar right. Should a focus more on my tech and blue tip soon?

Chris A
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, we're talking about the position of the razor. It has nothing to do with the razor having safety bars or open combs.

- Murray
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The straight bar, or the open comb, should not touch your face. The butterfly doors, or the rounded screw-down cap, should be the part touching your face, and the bar (or comb) should float near your skin without touching it. This way, the blade edge is reliably hitting your beard but also staying away from your skin.

You can even see this when you find old razors - on the ones that are broken and misused, the bar is often worn; on the really good razors that were used by someone who knew what he was doing, the rounded cap is the part that shows the wear.
Last edited by notthesharpest on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

Oh ok now I get it. It takes a lot of practice to get it right. Shaving is art but not fun to do it. We'll have to keep trying.

Chris A
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, the fun is learning the art. When you learn it, every good shave is a victory that gives you a sense of accomplishment. Eventually, shaving victories will become normal.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

how long are you using an individual blade?

I used my 1953 3rd quarter tech with a 1953 NOS Gillette blue blade. Did the first pass with extra thick lather, true yogurt. it was rather tuggy and not so fun. But I had a mere 24 hours of stubble, and the second pass was mainly touchup/personal enjoyment with thinner lather and it felt like I had taken the blade out between passes.

you have to focus on face and razor prep here.

for you face do as I do, get a bar of phisoderm unscented soap, and give your face a good lathering up with it. just use your hands. let it set a minute or so before rinsing off with cool water. THEN lather up as usual.

although before I actually lather I like to take my brush in its hot tap water bath, and when its fully softened, I like to quickly run it on my phisoderm washed face to get it wet. then I dunk the brush again, let it drip and get to loading it.

get a can of barbasol soothing aloe. use that for a while as it gives good results and is always consistent.

before you shave start doing as Gillette advertised for carbon blades, unwrap it and rub it gently on each blade edge to get any grease or burrs off of it. I typically use my shirt for that. And do so AFTER the shave to keep that blade clean. And a little 91% isopropyl does work to help it stay sharp and clean, and I swear it lubricates the razor as well.
Antonine

Post by Antonine »

I used the Dorco 300 and got a good shave with it.

I am new to this forum.
I'm shaving to look good.
pausted

Post by pausted »

Welcome, Antonine. Hope you will enjoy your stay on the forum.
Best regards,

Basil
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Antonine, welcome to SMF!

The Dorco ST300 is a different blade from the ST301 that Chris posted about. The 301 is a sharper blade.

The Dorco ST300 is a very forgiving blade, best suited to a light beard. I have very sensitive skin and a fairly coarse beard, and I used the 300 for quite awhile early on. Now, I prefer sharper blades.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes Antonine, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire