thoughts on lords classic blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mrjediconsular

thoughts on lords classic blades

Post by mrjediconsular »

i just did my first shave with lords classic blades and wanted to see what other people thought of them.
Jordan
malocchio

Re: thoughts on lords classic blades

Post by malocchio »

I've only tried the Lord Platinum and Lord Chrome,they worked well for me.I have tried all their others over the years including: Asco,Racer,Silver Star,Big Ben,Crown and Rainbow.Seems to me there used to be 1 or 2 more,but I can't remember the names.All of these blades have served me well,no complaints at all.
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

malocchio wrote:I've only tried the Lord Platinum and Lord Chrome,they worked well for me.I have tried all their others over the years including: Asco,Racer,Silver Star,Big Ben,Crown and Rainbow.Seems to me there used to be 1 or 2 more,but I can't remember the names.All of these blades have served me well,no complaints at all.
Have tried all of the above, plus Shark SS. There are about 8 or 9 different blades brands from Lord, in about 13 or more models. According to Squire, they come in about three, maybe four levels of quality. The Asco Orange, Racer, and Silver Stars worked for me, Big Ben, Crown, and Asco Red, meh. The Rainbow I can't remember, though it's considered one of Lord's best.

I recently switched from a dwindling supply of Personna Labs to some Shark SS, of which I have a bigger supply. The Shark SS is considered in the upper level of Lord brands. Not quite as smooth as the Personna Labs, but still nicely smooth, and a bit longer lasting.

As always with blades, YMMV.
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

as this is my first time using lord classics i well probably change how i feel about them later on, but my first impressions is it's great for lighter beard areas but not for thicker areas i loved the audio feedback i got from them compared to the derby's and i only cut my chin once instead like 2-3 with derby but that might be my technique(my chin and jawline are my trouble areas with thick facial hair).
Jordan
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

On the ASCO blades,aren't the orange and red the same blade,orange indicates 5 blades,red indicates 10 blades ???
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Both the Asco orange, and the Asco reds that I struggled through with, came in 5-packs

See Squire's review of the Asco reds.

As always with blades, YMMV.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, Lord makes some good blades. Their higher priced brands (still a bargain) can be very good.
Regards,
Squire
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

ASCO Red packs are 10 count nowadays...
Attachments
asco.JPG
asco.JPG (36.93 KiB) Viewed 4593 times
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

i think this is one of my YMMV moments i'm still on my fist blade 3rd shave and almost every time it's always pulling and tugging and making me red no bumps at least.what do you think i should do keep going or trash them?

these are the blades i'm talking about

Jordan
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

mrjediconsular wrote:i think this is one of my YMMV moments i'm still on my fist blade 3rd shave and almost every time it's always pulling and tugging and making me red no bumps at least.what do you think i should do keep going or trash them?

these are the blades i'm talking about

......These usually are good blades.Maybe you got a bum pack.Have you tried them in a different razor ?...Why don't you try a few more out of the pack,just to give them a fair chance,they have a good reputation.
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

I only have my merkur progress. But I will try them some more. Maybe try a fresh blade next time
Jordan
BestBadger

Post by BestBadger »

Lord has - as far as I know - three different types of blades: Super Stainless, Chrome and Platinum. The Super Stainless is sold as Lord Classic, Lord Extra, Lord Super, Shark Super Stainless, Asco, Big Ben and so on, but it's always the same type of blade - only the name and package differs. The Lord Super Chrome is also sold as Shark Super Chrome. I've tried all three types and for me the Platinum works best, it's sharper and smoother than the other ones.
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

well i just finished my third shave with another lords classic blade and it went a lot better these couple times then the last blade.still have a little bit of pulling and tugging sensation with them but no irration.
Jordan
Grandpa Pipes

Post by Grandpa Pipes »

Lord and Shark are the same blade made in Egypt for the Mid-eastern market. They are a rough shave most of the time but the main Arab market beards are tough need tough blades.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hello Grandpa Pipes. Welcome to SMF!

- Murray
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

Well I started the part of my blade testing where I use preshave oil and definitely help with the pulling and tugging sensation I always got with these blades
Jordan
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

Finally!!! no cuts with these blades and no pulling and tugging with no irritation.all i had to do is add a few drops of pre-shave oil and i'm set. and i'm up to 4 shaves with the blade this time.
Jordan