Interesting Article on Above The Tie and Stan Hickam

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BullGoose
Vendor

Interesting Article on Above The Tie and Stan Hickam

Post by BullGoose »

Todd Oppenheimer, a journalist based in San Francisco, has written an in depth piece on Stan Hickam and the production of Above The Tie safety razors. I thought it might be of interest to the members here.

http://craftsmanship.net/occupy-your-bathroom/
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Rufust445

Re: Interesting Article on Above The Tie and Stan Hickam

Post by Rufust445 »

At today's prices, Gillette has definitely left an opening in the market for cheaper competition. My first wet shaves were with a Gillette Travel Tech, but that was when the Wilkinson Bonded razor was hitting the market, then the Trac II, then the Atra...
BeatlesFan

Re: Interesting Article on Above The Tie and Stan Hickam

Post by BeatlesFan »

Great article and thank you for sharing it. It's exciting to see the dedication to precision that has been brought to bear on the project. I'm glad it's been such a success. I don't own an ABT razor, because I'm basically very happy with my vintage Gillettes. Nevertheless, it certainly seems like an outstanding product for which there is a market, and congratulations to the founder for achieving something of such quality.

I tell you, that article makes me consider re-thinking the Slant, though I'm not even sure where mine is at this point. When I used it for a time a couple of years back I thought it was OK, but (to me) not noticeably different from any other DE in my stable. I can see the theory about "shearing" from a "stiffer" blade, as opposed to "push cutting." It's just that, as a practical matter, I did not notice any such difference. Now I'm thinking I need to do further experimentation.

RAD, oh dear, RAD. It's such an insidious thing!