new razor relaeases

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

new razor relaeases

Post by nicodemus38 »

Some one has yet again released a new line of razors utilizing the standard muhle/merkur razor head, and with "special" "custom" handles. And with an even higher price tag..

Im just curious on the thought here. How does taking a common, everyday item like a merkur razor head, and putting your own plastic handle on it. Make it a new product?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: new razor relaeases

Post by Squire »

It's the logic of the Red Queen, truth is whatever she says it is.
Regards,
Squire
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Since the heads are all the same, all these 'new' razors shave exactly the same.
One is just paying for a fancy handle. I just buy the originals and am happy with the great shaves I get.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've paid a wheel barrow of cash over the years on new "improved" versions of DEs and have yet to find a better designed razor than the Schick Krona.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

That reality TV pawn broker dude continues to flog his "answer to the best shave ever" cheap DE razor. I saw it in Walmart not too long ago. Can't believe it's still selling.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

at least the micro touch one can get a better shave then a cartridge and hopefully get people to switch like it did for me
Jordan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

mrjediconsular wrote:at least the micro touch one can get a better shave then a cartridge and hopefully get people to switch like it did for me
No doubt --- I just think it's kind of interesting marketing around wet shaving when there has been a pretty strong following already all these years. Anything to get the masses converted, I suppose. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Grandpa Pipes

Post by Grandpa Pipes »

nicodemus38 wrote:Some one has yet again released a new line of razors utilizing the standard muhle/merkur razor head, and with "special" "custom" handles. And with an even higher price tag..

Im just curious on the thought here. How does taking a common, everyday item like a merkur razor head, and putting your own plastic handle on it. Make it a new product?
One way to "build" your own super razor is to buy a Merkur 23c and a Weber Razor handle to marry together for a wonderful shaving machine. The Mekur head is the standard head for them that always gives a smooth shave, the Weber Handle is pure stainless steel with a grippy surface that can be used on any 10-32 razor thread ,any brand, so it can be used for a very long time.

I shave with my razors that cost well over $300 from time to time but I still like my inexpensive "super razor" over the high dollar razors.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Its kind of like how making a car available in a new color qualifies as it being a new car model . Still a jeep. Doesn't make it something different if it leaves the factory with the standard red, blue, black, orange color, but put camo on it and its a NEW MODEL.
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:Its kind of like how making a car available in a new color qualifies as it being a new car model . Still a jeep. Doesn't make it something different if it leaves the factory with the standard red, blue, black, orange color, but put camo on it and its a NEW MODEL.
Camo and some mud flaps, maybe a catchy name like Rambo or something, and a couple of sexy magazine/TV ads. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Trim packages, decals, and wild new colors have long been a staple of the Detroit3 auto makers. A cheap way of juicing up a few extra sales. That hasn't stopped the market share for all three of them from dwindling to less than half the total market.

Another advantage of plastic razors is that they can be molded in wild new colors as well.

Or as W. Edwards Deming used to say: "Just another sign of their desperation and incompetence."
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's all about marketing: " thanks for the great ideas, people! Now let's go sell some . . .(insert product)."
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444