Beware Of The Rubie

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Ouchmychin

Beware Of The Rubie

Post by Ouchmychin »

Several months agp I bought on ebay or was given by a member a half dozen sample of the Gillette Rubie blsdes. They shaved very well; about like a Kai blade. A couple weeks ago I saw a listing on ebay for a 50 pack and bought it. The last 3 days I have tried them. The first day I took out a perfectly good Irridium Super from my Futur and put in a Rubie. I lathered as I always do and boing! the razor was snagging each whisker. I could feel the blade edge as though it was wider than standard. I suffered through three miserable passes and a polish with that blade. When I was done, I could still feel the stubble on my face. That blade was incapable of a close shave. I tossed it. The next day I put a fresh Rubie into the Futur and repeated the same misery. Today I got a bright idea. My Fatboy had a Gillette Polsilver that I had used a couple of times. I lathered my face and did 3 passes on one cheek and that side of my neck. Then I took out the Polsilver and layed it on the counter. I put in the third Rubie and shaved the other side of my face. Same result: a slick shave from the Polsilver and pulling and snagging with the Rubie. After three passes, I tossed the Rubie and put the Polsilver back in and did my polish to almost bbs.
I believe the new blades were totally different from my sample. It came from a seller in the Soviet Union. I don't know if Proctor and Gamble has decided that blade should be downgraded to encourage the sale of Polsilvers and Irridium Supers or what. The only good thing is that the Rubies were cheap.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Re: Beware Of The Rubie

Post by brothers »

Pete, I read your experience with great interest. I also got a box of 5 Rubies from someone about a month ago, and when they were gone, I ordered some from someone in Russia based on my good experience with the Rubie. I have not yet used any of the new ones, but I am concerned that they might be of the same low quality that you experienced. Time will tell. As you say, they weren't expensive, so if they're trash, I won't have lost much. I think tomorrow morning will be a good day to find out. I do recall that the last of the sample blades did start out on the first day with a bit of harshness, but the following shaves (about 10 or so) were extremely pleasing and that's why I bought more. I'm going to be disappointed if these new ones are no good. Thanks for this post.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the report, Pete.

I bought some of these blades from a Russian seller on eBay, as well. I haven't tried mine yet, as I have been very happily using some blades of Iranian manufacture (brand = Tíz, meaning sharp) that a friend brought me from a visit to the same country. I'll be curious to hear Gary's experience with the Rubies. Not sure when I'll get around to trying them, myself.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Don't discount the blade yet. try a different razor first. and don't expect to get the same performance from a razor with different blades.

My flair tip LOVES family dollar blades. but put in a Wilkinson sword and well its a blood blath.

My 1953 tech loves either blade equally. Just that when I use a Wilkinson I need to pay more attention to my lather and get it creamiers..
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Nic, note that Pete tried the blade in two very different razors, the latter even being an old Gillette. He also tried more than one blade and got the same results both times and with both razors. I don't think I have ever heard of a P&G blade being incompatible with a Gillette razor, so there has to be some validity to Pete's experience. Even so, I'm looking forward to hearing what Gary thinks. Then I'll have to dig out a Rubie and try it for myself.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

How rigid are these rubies?

the family dollar blades are get are relatively robust and rigid. the wilkinsons are rather flexible. think family dollar is a tab from a soda can. and the Wilkinson blades are as rigid as a postage stamp.

my 53 tech, 66 tech, love the family dollar blades well. so does my flair tip. very good shaves in terms of beard removal. depending on soap used it may have a risk of nicks due to how close it shaves.

But my flare with the Wilkinson well its a blood bath. regardless of soap. The flare gets awful close anyway, and that Wilkinson blade is to conforming to the interior of the silo doors.

the flare was designed at the very end of thick carbon blades and slightly before the thin flexible stainless was released. So I think thin and flexible is BAD for that razor. and so far from using it.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the warning Pete. These blades are trash. Probably counterfeit. I'm asking the ebay seller for an immediate and voluntary full refund. Failing that, it's a Paypal dispute, and I'm thinking about sending these blades and packaging to P&G with a complaint, depending on how much trouble it is. Funny, the shave started out with the blade sliding across the whiskers so smooth, it was like silk. Second pass, I turned the razor over and started with the other edge. I was paying very close attention and when the blade refused to move, digging in and hoping I would pull it and cut myself, I knew what Pete knows. Then I decided to feel of my face, and immediately found that no whiskers had been shaved in the first pass that was so smooth. No cutting! One edge doesn't cut at all, and the other wants me to use extraordinary force to remove my own skin. No one should buy any Gillette Platinum Plus Rubie blades from Russia on ebay or any source other than a trusted retail vendor.

Edit: Here's my communication through ebay to the seller ---

Jan 31
You requested a return
Reason for return
Doesn't work or defective
Comments
I am not requesting a return. The Gillette Platinum Plus Rubie razor blades are probably counterfeit. They do not cut whiskers. These blades are no good. Please issue an immediate and full refund as soon as possible. I do not want to return them to you, because I am sending them to Gillette to investigate whether they are in fact counterfeit. If you refuse to cooperate and give my money back immediately, I will leave negative feedback and file a complaint through Paypal, in addition to sending the blades to Gillette. I look forward to hearing from you immediately.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

any blade warping?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've looked at my fake blade with the electronic loupe. I'm not an expert and I don't have the vocabulary or sophistication it would take to make a meaningful observation. However, they just look fake. That's all I can say. I think I'll contact one or more of our popular vendors to see if they can put me in touch with someone at P&G or Gillette who may take an interest. Just so everyone reading this knows, I paid around $21 for 100 blades including shipping. Cheap is cheap and we get what we pay for, don't we? :D

I'm a big fan of TryABlade, and checked his website just now. He only handles genuine products, and it so happens he has these blades in stock, and they sell for $.65 each. I bought 10 and will probably have them by Wednesday or Thursday. As soon as I receive the real blades, I'm going to examine them with the loupe for a detailed visual comparison. I only wish I had the aptitude and equipment to take some pictures of both blades side by side, not to mention the packaging, etc.
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks for the follow-up Gary. I have not had the ba**s to request a refund so far. I will also try that route. I wonder if CMur has tried his. If he doesn't have the same experience I will wonder if two vendors are selling blades on ebay.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

While the iron's still hot, I sent an email to Gillette/P&G outlining my experience and my willingness to send them the blades, packaging, and related paperwork including the mailing envelope, Russian shipping documents and the ebay information. P&G has received it, and now I'm awaiting a refund and/or response from the seller.
Gary

BPman

Post by BPman »

This perplexes me as I have a couple hundred and it is no secret that I think they are THE best DE blade extant, bar none. :? Mine have all come from Russia via Ebay. The point being that all counterfeit blades I have read of are Chinese in origin. As well, I read some Euro shave sites and they pretty much concur as well that it's the best DE blade. Something's not right here.

I did read a few years back where in South Africa a shipping container of fake Gillette Minora blades was dumped into the ocean after being discovered. These were of Chinese origin as well. May I ask which Ebay seller was involved here, if it's not a forum violation? As well, post some clear close up photos of the box & blades.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I believe that there is more than one Russian eBay seller of blades under this brand.

I ordered my blades on 11/30/2015 and received them on 12/17/2015. I paid $23.00 for 100 blades, shipping included.

I might note that I haven't tried my blades yet.

I am going to send PMs to Pete, Gary, and BPman with the name of the seller I purchased from, so that we can compare notes.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

Here's something I remembered from a few years back that may help you fellas:

http://www.pogonotomy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=807

I used this site in the past as well with great luck. They are on Ebay now & then:

http://leza-shaving.com/en/store/gillette
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BPman, from the pictures in the link you provided, my blades appear to be genuine. Then again, those postings are from 2011 and the counterfeiters could have improved the printing on their packaging since then.

I'll still need to try them out.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the link to Pogonotomy regarding the fake vs. genuine Rubies. It is disconcerting to me because all of the 2011 Pogonotomy discussion about packaging pros and cons would be considered Genuine in 2016 but the blade inside is the worst of any new blade I have ever encountered.
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

BPman, I believe you sent me the original 6 blades that were so good. I checked the box of the blades I have been using against the photos on your link and found that they differed only because mine have a narrow purple star within the red star on the front. The genuine Rubies have only the red star. As Gary said, I have never shaved with a blade this terrible, and I have used many a blade. Up to now the worst was a Shark.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

I checked another random blade and it is identical to the first two. One edge refuses to cut paper and the other wants to rip the paper but not cut it. Light reflecting off the edges reveals the edge is wavy not smooth or straight.

Edit: After reading what Pete says about that purple star I checked mine and I also have the purple star. I didn't notice that before. Pete tells me he got his from the same seller.
Gary

BPman

Post by BPman »

Someone please post some clear color photos comparing the good box & the 'purple' box. Also, do these 'purple' box blades have the two wax dots as well as the proper nomenclature on the blade?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I just loaded one of my Gillette Rubies into a Schick Krona and I got a very good shave. The blade seemed a little strange, however.

My blades are packaged a little differently from Pete's. There is no cellophane on the individual boxes and the blades are single-wrapped in wax paper. The blades don't have the same wax dots towards the edges as I have seen on other P&G blades. Rather, the wax runs along the center of the blade. The star on the box does appear to have a subtle purple core.

The printing on the blade is as follows:

Gillette®
Rubie®
PLATINUM PLUS®
(There is no star on the blade).

When I hand-stropped the blade, it felt like there was no edge, or at least like there might be a very short, very steep bevel.

When I shaved with the blade, it cut through the whiskers very easily, but it seemed like the angle was more critical than with other blades (like there may be something to my initial impressions of a short, steep bevel).

One side may have been better, but it is hard to say, as each side of my neck shaves differently, anyway.

I'll need to use the blade more to confirm my initial impressions, but I did get a very good shave.

- Murray