Don't leave home without it....

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Gareth
Taylorman

Don't leave home without it....

Post by Gareth »

Recently my traveling has steadily increased and so I'm away from home more often.

I rarely forget to pack something but in the past 7 days I have twice forgotten to pack my DE razor. The result has invariably been blue air upon realisation and then a quick dash to a pharmacy/supermarket to pick something up ready for the next morning.

I usually just pick-up something like BIC disposables or similar, but having now had to use these on a couple of occasions in the last week, it has reminded me just how great a shave one can get from a DE razor when used skilfully. It's quite eye-opening the difference in fact when you compare closeness, general comfort and pleasure involved. And please don't get me started on the 'strips of goo' that they put on these cheap disposables.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what point I'm making here, except to say that forgetting to pack my razor has re-unforced just how great a service this little piece of metal provides me on a daily basis - the sad thing is it has taken leaving it home to remember this.

Gareth
Ouchmychin

Re: Don't leave home without it....

Post by Ouchmychin »

I shave regularly with some BIC Senstive disposables that I bought based on advice I read here from Gary. I find that I like the sharpness and safety of them. I may not quite get to bbs, but I get close enough and no nicks or scrapes and I can shave a lot faster in comfort. I do like my DE's too, but as you said, care and precision are needed, one can't relax.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
owenm

Post by owenm »

Gareth wrote:Recently my traveling has steadily increased and so I'm away from home more often.

I rarely forget to pack something but in the past 7 days I have twice forgotten to pack my DE razor. The result has invariably been blue air upon realisation and then a quick dash to a pharmacy/supermarket to pick something up ready for the next morning.
Fortunately I don't have to travel as much as I used to, but I still keep a packed wash bag with a second version of my normal kit so if I do need to spend a few days away somewhere I can just chuck it into my bag and I'll be certain that it's got everything I need (it currently contains a Vulfix travel brush, 40's SuperSpeed, Erasmic stick in a DR Harris soap stick tube, toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant and some hair wax in an Eagle Creek bag). If I have to go abroad I would substitute a cartridge razor so I can carry-on (but reluctantly as I'll almost certainly get ingrown hairs - perhaps I should try disposables next time).
Cheers,
Owen
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Time to buy that dedicated to travel only backup razor Gareth. That's what I did.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Now that I am no longer traveling for work, my stash of Bic sensitives hasn't gone down at all.

My issue has always been flying with DE blades when I was traveling with one bag that I would take onto the plane myself. TSA and CATSA are not in favour. Not at all .... I have some personal experience.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

jww wrote:Now that I am no longer traveling for work, my stash of Bic sensitives hasn't gone down at all.

My issue has always been flying with DE blades when I was traveling with one bag that I would take onto the plane myself. TSA and CATSA are not in favour. Not at all .... I have some personal experience.
Interesting you should mention flying with DE blades - after one of the recent trips where I forgot my razor I later discovered that I had inadvertedly carried a pack of blades in my carry-on. I had been through 4 airports in 24 hours none of which had raised an eye-brow over them. Is this a sign perhaps that, in Europe at least, the rules on carrying this type of blade have been relaxed?

Gareth
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gareth wrote: Interesting you should mention flying with DE blades - after one of the recent trips where I forgot my razor I later discovered that I had inadvertedly carried a pack of blades in my carry-on. I had been through 4 airports in 24 hours none of which had raised an eye-brow over them. Is this a sign perhaps that, in Europe at least, the rules on carrying this type of blade have been relaxed?
No Gareth, I suspect it's that they flew under the radar -- literally. If the person managing the console didn't know what they were looking at, they likely will simply ignore it. Oddly enough, my Bose SoundDock Mini and my usb speaker bar often got hauled out to be looked at by clearance staff when I travelled for work in recent years. The speaker bar looks like a truncheon to some scanners ..... so to prevent that, I would pull the bar out if I have it in my carry on -- along with my laptop.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

jww wrote:No Gareth, I suspect it's that they flew under the radar -- literally. If the person managing the console didn't know what they were looking at, they likely will simply ignore it. Oddly enough, my Bose SoundDock Mini and my usb speaker bar often got hauled out to be looked at by clearance staff when I travelled for work in recent years. The speaker bar looks like a truncheon to some scanners ..... so to prevent that, I would pull the bar out if I have it in my carry on -- along with my laptop.
That makes sense, Wendell. On another recent trip through airport security I noticed there was some interest in a cigar cutter I had in my carry-on. In the end nothing came of it and my bag was passed back to me, but on the way out I enquired with the supervisor what the policy was on cutters. He simply said he had made a judgement call by looking at me (I was dressed in a suit) and had come to the conclusion that it likely I may be the type of person who would enjoy a fine Cuban cigar from time to time...

Gareth