Gillette "Reintros" DE Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Re: Gillette "Reintros" DE Blades

Post by BPman »

I binned my first blade after seven uses as I sensed a slight decline in sharpness. That's as far as I have ever personally gone using a Personna 74, Light Brigade or Schick Plus Platinum blade. Perhaps I have a tough beard, or am more attuned to the beginning of blade degradation. Regardless, this is top of the mountain IMO as regards blades folks. :wink:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BPman, the fact that you got results on par with such blades of glorious renown from the past says a lot!

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

The two packs in my local store was all they had. Hard to imagine they would just buy some NOS and stock something that wouldn't be available for quite some time.

Used one this morning. I liked it.

I can't say it's as good as my stock of "Swede's", but it is really close. They are for sure better than the Yellow, green or dark Blue packs I have tried in the past.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
BPman

Post by BPman »

Gene wrote:The two packs in my local store was all they had. Hard to imagine they would just buy some NOS and stock something that wouldn't be available for quite some time.

I can't say it's as good as my stock of "Swede's", but it is really close. They are for sure better than the Yellow, green or dark Blue packs I have tried in the past.
They (Walgreen's) are not buying so much as Gillette is pushing these. Gillette is suing Dollar Shave Club right now and as well Gillette's razor sales have declined 40% in the last three years as a result. Coincidence? I think not. :wink:
brothers

Post by brothers »

All I can think of now is that if Gillette had been selling these blades off the shelves all along, a great many of us would have been spared all of the drama and money scouring the earth and hoarding that's been standard procedure for more than a decade. C'mon Gillette - stop trying to cram the Fusion down our throat and give us your best blades. After all, it's mainly your old but still excellent Gillette razors we're buying them for!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

BPman wrote:
Gene wrote:The two packs in my local store was all they had. Hard to imagine they would just buy some NOS and stock something that wouldn't be available for quite some time.

They (Walgreen's) are not buying so much as Gillette is pushing these. Gillette is suing Dollar Shave Club right now and as well Gillette's razor sales have declined 40% in the last three years as a result. Coincidence? I think not. :wink:
Dollar Shave Club ran an ad during the Super Bowl, so they must be doing well.

Gene, I can only add another Mark Twain quote to your signature line: "We have the best government that money can buy."
Gene

Post by Gene »

"We have the best government that money can buy."

Good one! I like it.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

these blades shave like the 1953 Gillette carbon blue blade. Extremely close. I hadn't shaved for 3-4 days, and the first pass took me down to DFS. second pass was just a luxury touch up of certain spots.

Just a lot smoother and more enjoyable.
BPman

Post by BPman »

nicodemus38 wrote:these blades shave like the 1953 Gillette carbon blue blade. Extremely close. I hadn't shaved for 3-4 days, and the first pass took me down to DFS. second pass was just a luxury touch up of certain spots.

I'll be frank: Gillette carbon blades on my face are very rough. However, the later carbon ones with a PTFE coating are wonderful for a few shaves. I am perplexed how you could see any similarity here however. :?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I read the carefully done double blind blade test over at The Shaving Room (UK). The best blade turned out to be the Russian 7 O'Clock Super Stainless Gillette green package blades. Does anyone here have any experience to compare performance of the Brazilian Platinum Plus to the green box Russian Super Stainless? (Or for that matter to compare the Russian Rubie to either or both of these blades?)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

brothers wrote:I read the carefully done double blind blade test over at The Shaving Room (UK). The best blade turned out to be the Russian 7 O'Clock Super Stainless Gillette green package blades. Does anyone here have any experience to compare performance of the Brazilian Platinum Plus to the green box Russian Super Stainless? (Or for that matter to compare the Russian Rubie to either or both of these blades?)
Yes, I have all those & have used all as well. I rate all three as top of the line with the 7 O'Clock Super Stainless just a frog hair behind the other two. So little as to be merely subjective.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Anyone else tried this blade?
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

BPman wrote:
nicodemus38 wrote:these blades shave like the 1953 Gillette carbon blue blade. Extremely close. I hadn't shaved for 3-4 days, and the first pass took me down to DFS. second pass was just a luxury touch up of certain spots.

I'll be frank: Gillette carbon blades on my face are very rough. However, the later carbon ones with a PTFE coating are wonderful for a few shaves. I am perplexed how you could see any similarity here however. :?

When I used a Y3 Gillette blue blade, carbon, I got DFS BBS type shave on the first pass. Even if I did not shave for 3 shaves, the first pass got EVERYTHING. The second pass was a redundant minimal clean up pass. But the first pass tugged and pulled awful no matter how many days passed.

The Platinum plus I got is like that, without tugging. I mean, first shave I used one was 4 days of no shaving, first pass took it down to DFS standard with a minimal need to clean up. 3 days, 2, and 2, on one blade same results. Every time.
I tried to use it a 5th time today, but I shaved yesterday as well and it went badly. was tuggy and felt dull, so I put a new blade in. Got first nicks today in about 3 months.
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

nicodemus38 wrote:THey are merely testing the waters, seeing how well they do in select areas. It isn't to be taken as a sign of Gillette re entereing the double edge razor market. They are just starting to see that they can make money off their blades when sold in actual stores.
Gillette never left the double-edge razor blade market, and have factories producing them the world over. Vietnam, China, Brazil, Russia, India, etc. If they reintroduced the Super Adjustable, they would capture a commanding lead in that market segment almost overnight.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

they aren't going to reintroduce the de razor by Gillette again. no profit whatsoever.

sure the india market has the low cost tech clones. but that market is currently being pushed into a plastic twin blade cartridge system last I checked.
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

nicodemus38 wrote:they aren't going to reintroduce the de razor by Gillette again. no profit whatsoever.

sure the india market has the low cost tech clones. but that market is currently being pushed into a plastic twin blade cartridge system last I checked.
I didn't mean to suggest that a Super Adjustable re-introuduction is imminent, only that Gillette could once again own the traditional wetshaving market if it so chose. Gillette has been reselling safety razors for some years now through its Art of Shaving stores. That subsidiary is reportedly one of its most profitable segments. Gillette is fortunate in that it has the resources to manufacture its own products or resell products made by others as it chooses.

The Gillette Guard is now approximately two-thirds of Indian razor sales, and has a single blade. A lot of men still use a safety razor and double edge blades, though.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Raze R. Blade wrote:...The Gillette Guard is now approximately two-thirds of Indian razor sales, and has a single blade. A lot of men still use a safety razor and double edge blades, though.

Easily, THE best plastic disposable I have ever used, bar none. =D>