Gillette "Reintros" DE Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Gillette "Reintros" DE Blades

Post by BPman »

Perhaps some of you have read on other forums where Gillette is now selling in some Walgreen's stores & other stores a new either 3 blade tuck or three 3 blade tucks for a total of nine blades. I paid $5.99 for the pckg. of nine blades. The catch is that these are Platinum Plus blades made by Gillette in Brazil. My first blade has a "K" code. I have shaved twice with one and am going to wait before offering an opinion. No, not because I think it is bad, but because I want to see if it's as good as I think it may be, but will not rush my opinion after only two shaves. :wink:

FWIW, this appears to be a "shotgun" form of marketing as the mgr. at the Walgreen's told me that some stores are only getting a few pckgs. I don't know if they are testing the waters, eliminating NOS or both.

http://imgur.com/a/YFkXH
nicodemus38

Re: Gillette "Reintros" DE Blades

Post by nicodemus38 »

well the special packaging is odd. there stuff normally comes in a 5 pack right?

itll sell better then the walgreens repackaged isreali personnas. those are 8$ plus tax for 10.

THey are merely testing the waters, seeing how well they do in select areas. It isn't to be taken as a sign of Gillette re entereing the double edge razor market. They are just starting to see that they can make money off their blades when sold in actual stores.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Interesting that it says "Made in Brazil" in English and Spanish, but not in Portuguese.

P&G also makes Wilkinson Sword blades in India and Brazil. As far as the three-packs are concerned, I don't know what the norm is for P&G blades made in Brazil. In terms of marketing, and logic aside, three packs in one makes it feel like one is getting more for their money. Also, as I recall, the last blades Gillette sold in US drug stores - which were terrible blades - came in a dispenser of ten for 9.99, so this is a much better value. Everyone here knows how to get the best Gillette blades for a lot less, but this might be a good resource for travelers.

I look forward to your impressions of these blades, BPman.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

nicodemus38 wrote:well the special packaging is odd. there stuff normally comes in a 5 pack right?

itll sell better then the walgreens repackaged isreali personnas. those are 8$ plus tax for 10.

THey are merely testing the waters, seeing how well they do in select areas. It isn't to be taken as a sign of Gillette re entereing the double edge razor market. They are just starting to see that they can make money off their blades when sold in actual stores.
Actually, Gillette used to sell three blade packs. I have some of these from the modern foray (not counting the early 1930's venture) into stainless blades in the 1960's.

I think the Dollar Shave Club & Harry's Razors ads are paying off as they are constantly bombarding the TV, airwaves & Internet with their ads. As well, Gillette has a shave club, albeit at the same extravagant prices as retail. Sales may well be down and this may be a two pronged approach of selling NOS as well as testing the waters. P&G aren't stupid by any means and there is no doubt that they don't want to return to DE production as the profit margin is far less, but sometimes market pressure dictates otherwise. Who knows.........................

Cmur12, the first shave was at night and to be frank my beard was never one for easy shaving without a shower first. I changed razors as well after one side of my face. I will discount it. The 2nd shave was with an English Gillette Flare Tip and was simply marvelous. I read on another forum whereas a poster said that to him this blade did not feel like the old Platinum Plus made in America. Well, I have used those before but it's been awhile. I still have a few and perhaps will do a SxS test. Nonetheless, Gillette didn't hide their technology from their satellites as that would defeat their purpose. In other words, a blade made in Manaus would be made on the same eqpmt. as one in Boston back in the day as Gillette engineers were running the show. I will only state that so far it appears to be a top tier blade. Let's see how it pans out. :wink:

P.S. You have to admit it beats talking about Astra or Personna for the millionth time!! :P
brothers

Post by brothers »

It so happens I'm going to be at Walgreens today. Because of this, I'll check the shaving aisle, and of course these blades won't be there, but credit Gillette/P&G Marketing department for successfully pulling in at least one more prospective customer with a $10 bill burning a hole in his pocket while looking for his stuff. 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

brothers, you may have to ask and show them the UPC code. These are just in at Walgreen's and the mgr. found mine in the back in a red tote box.

OK, I am three shaves in and am going to elaborate a bit. For today's shave I used Cella and a Semogue boar brush that loves this particular soap. Both the brush & the red tub had hot water pre-soak while I showered. On my left side I used a Schick Krona and on the right I switched the blade to a Made In Canada pre-war Tech. This is a top notch blade, people. Of that I have no doubt. Effortless shave. The top tier Gillette blades have a feel of their own that seasoned shavers know by touch. This is one of those. I want to say that yes this is simply a NOS Platinum Plus as made in South America using the same technology as Boston back in the day.

That said, I think you guys should stay with Astra or Personna and leave these old duffer blades to me. :P :lol: :wink:
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely ask the manager if necessary.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

I did a little Internet research and found this on a Brazilian wetshaver forum from 2014:

The price for three blades is shown as 6.61 Reales which is $1.70 in U.S. dollars. So, they weren't giving them away even in their country of origin! The poster said he bought some in this same year (2014) in Brazil, but when he inquired was given a Gillette ph. # in Costa Rica!! Obviously, these blades are more for international sale in Latin America.

Another clue: his other 2014 photos show a double paper wrap with the outer being logo encrypted like Gillette Russian blades used to have until recently before going to one simple white wrapper. Well, the ones being sold in the USA now have as well only a plain white inner wrapping. I read on another website whereas another fella in Brazil says they are currently discontinued. That night partially explain the plain white inner wrapper and the repackaging to be sold in the USA, i.e., dumping old stock. Nonetheless, I don't think that is the only reason. :wink:

http://www.barbearclassico.com/index.php?topic=3998.30
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I didn't read the entire thread on Barbear Clássico (thanks for the link), but it does look like these blades might be old stock. If that is the case, they will only be available until the supply dries up.

(By the way, the plural of Real is Reais. :) )

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I found some 9 blade packs today.
Gary

BPman

Post by BPman »

Let us know what you think. I have four fantastic shaves on the first blade. That's usually where most modern blades peter out on me, between 3 & 4 shaves. Let's see how far this one goes. I have bought several more pkgs. at local stores as this is IMO a fantastic blade!! =D>

Edit: I am up to six fantastic shaves. :D

Surely, someone else has tried these also....... :?
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

I ran across a pack at Walgreen's yesterday, and used it for the first time this morning. First impression is that this is a top tier blade. Sharp, smooth, producing an effortless, close shave. It's very much like the best vintage stainless blades I've tried.

Looking forward to an extended test. My best blades last seven days or more.
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the 3 pack,, ive never seen anything but the Gillette 5 blade pack online in the whole vintage blade love.

But its nice to be right, getting rid of old stock.
brothers

Post by brothers »

BPman wrote:Let us know what you think. I have four fantastic shaves on the first blade. That's usually where most modern blades peter out on me, between 3 & 4 shaves. Let's see how far this one goes. I have bought several more pkgs. at local stores as this is IMO a fantastic blade!! =D>

Edit: I am up to six fantastic shaves. :D

Surely, someone else has tried these also....... :?
I'm still working on the Rubie, 8 shaves so far. Looking forward to trying these Walgreens blades when the Rubie gets changed out.
Gary

BPman

Post by BPman »

OK, understood. Meanwhile, I just had shave #7 on this Brazilian blade. I have only ever pushed a modern Russian Rubie Platinum Plus to 6 shaves before changing the blade. These are two of the best modern blades I have ever used. :wink:
brothers

Post by brothers »

Too bad these Brazilians are so well hidden.
Gary

Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

It would be nice to see some of these on the shelves in the UK! Our 'off the rack' selection is very poor here.

Gareth
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

bought two packs today. 5.89 each. but the thing is, not that bad considering what the store charges for isreali personas,,,. or what target charges for van derhagen blades.

cant wait to use mine.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Local Walgreen's had two packs as well.

Mine now!

Will try one tomorrow.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I got two packs at my local Walgreen's. They said that was all they had, so I hope they get more.

- Murray