Razor blade thoughts

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
PerfectlyInsane

Razor blade thoughts

Post by PerfectlyInsane »

I'm a newbie when it comes to safety razors. Recently purchased 34c and a sampler pack of blades. My 1st shave was with the Merkur blade that came with my razor. It was a horrible experience. I really don't think the problem was my technique. I switched the blade to a Astra SS and have had about 10 shaves with these blades. I've had little irratation and maybe a couple of nicks. I change them after 2 shaves because they seem to pull on the 3rd shave. I'm wanting to see if any of these blades in the sampler would be a better shave for me. I have Astra SP, Sharks, Green 7 O'clock(doesn't say Gillette?), Treet Platinum, and I'm guessing the others are Israeli Personna blues. I'm leaning towards trying the Treet Platinum or Astra SP. I know everyone is different, but I'm just curious what others thoughts are on these blades. I have a coarse beard, wouldn't say dense.
mrjediconsular

Re: Razor blade thoughts

Post by mrjediconsular »

Well the only thing I can say is that I would jjunk the merkur blade but you learned the hard waywhen I'm done with my blade sampler I'm going to try treets as well
Jordan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hello Gentlemen -

The Treets are blades that you like or you don't. I like them and have a supply of them, but others don't. By the way, my beard is coarse but not very dense, also.

There are green-pack 7 O'Clock blades (which are Gillette) and green-pack 7 a.m. blades (which aren't Gillette). The latter are generally considered to be of lower quality. I haven't actually ever tried these, though I think I have some of them around.

The Israeli Personna/IP/Crystal blade (white wrapper with blue printing) is pretty universally liked, if not an actual favorite of many. This blade is often a good place to start.

Merkur blades: Though we have a couple of members who swear by these blades, most do not like them. It has also been proposed that the blade that comes with the razor may be damaged from rattling around in the box.

PerfectlyInsane, is the Merkur your first DE razor? If you are new to DE shaving, changing up blades can slow the learning process, as you want to keep variables to a minimum. At this point, some blades may work better for you than others, but you won't know for sure until you get your shaving technique developed. Settle on one razor blade and stick with that until you develop your technique. Additionally, as your technique is refined, you may find that you like blades you didn't before.

I, personally, have sensitive skin. I started out with a Merkur razor, but it was too aggressive for me and always caused a lot of irritation. I switched to a very mild razor (a Weishi, then a Gillette Tech), and my shaves improved dramatically. In my own case, popular razors such as the Edwin Jagger/Muehle and Merkur (fixed head) are still too aggressive for my skin. As a starting point, I choose the razor for my skin (mild razor for sensitive skin) and the blade for my beard (one of the sharper blades for my coarse beard). Starting out, however, I wasn't able to handle the sharper blades well, so I used much more forgiving blades (Dorco ST300, generally not recommended for a coarse or heavy beard) that don't work for me at all, now, so this could change for you over time, as well.

Good luck and stick with us!

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

On another forum a blind test among various members rated the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless the best blade out of many tested with the Astra SP coming in a close second. I would concur. It's a 'sleeper' as well in the shaving community. :wink:
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

I agree what has been said before; by keeping the variables to a minimum you may learn quicker where you make mistakes and need to improve technique.

The learning curve for a safety razor is not as steep as for a straight razor, but you may find in a few months that you actually do like a blade that you thought did not work for you when you were a novice.
That is unlikely for Merkur blades though, there a only very few shavers that hold them in high regard.
Astra Superior Platinum blades are inexpensive, widely used, easy to find, and provide a comfortable, close shave; so they may be a good blade to stick to for the first few months.
And don't be too afraid to use Feather blades later on, they are undoubtedly sharp, but I found the dire warnings about their dangers vastly exaggerated.
If I use a safety razor nowadays, I use mostly a Polsilver, Feather, Astra Stainless Steel (SS) or the occasional Astra Superior Platinum (SP) blade.

As far as blade longevity is concerned, from most blades I get about seven shaves before performance declines and it is time to insert a new blade. Technique and beard prepparation (which I consider essential for straight shave) have much to do with how many shaves you get from a single blade.
Some users discard a blade after only one shave "since they are so cheap", but I found that with most blades peak performance comes only with the second or third shave. This applies to safety razors, single edge (Feather AC) razors in particular, but to a certain extent even to a straight razor.

I enjoy my morning shave and hope that you too will find that classic wet-shaving can turn the drudge of a morning shave into something one looks forward to.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
PerfectlyInsane

Murray was right about the greens, I looked at them and they are 7 am Plus Durablade. I also had 3 packs of Sharp Durablade, which I think I've seen a few bad reviews of. Good to know the Israeli Blues are an option.I'm not planning on switching blades until I run out of the Astra SS that I have. At the rate I shave could be a month. Yeah I really don't plan on switching from the 34c anytime soon, I'm liking it so far. I have looked into getting a Tech but I'd just have find one in decent shape for a decent price. I've also thought about getting a Progress.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

each razor will be different with blades. My experiences will not be like yours. all you can be given is good recommendations.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

PerfectlyInsane, if you like the Merkur, chances are you won't like a Gillette Tech, as it is way milder and it will feel like you can't get an effective cut. For those whose skin requires a mild razor, they learn how to get the most out of a mild razor because they have to.

The Merkur Progress is an excellent razor, ranging in adjustment from quite mild to very aggressive. It would be hard to go wrong with one of these. Though I'm not generally a fan of Merkur razors, I think this one is excellent. I got the "Mergress" version with the custom-machined chromed metal knob at the base.

Regarding blades, take a look at Squire's blade reviews here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29705

Squire's reviews are a good starting point and about as close to objective blade performance information as you will find. From there, everyone's individual experience is different.

- Murray
PerfectlyInsane

Yeah, I just noticed that thread today. Lots of useful information.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

no offense but you cant truly consider the tech to be mild or non aggressive. Put a dull blade in, and its aggressive. Toss in a genuine Gillette carbon blue blade in, and its better then some straight razors.

using a carbon steel Gillette blade, my tech is more aggressive then my new improved or my old type.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

nicodemus38 wrote:no offense but you cant truly consider the tech to be mild or non aggressive. Put a dull blade in, and its aggressive. Toss in a genuine Gillette carbon blue blade in, and its better then some straight razors.

using a carbon steel Gillette blade, my tech is more aggressive then my new improved or my old type.
Nic, this makes no sense to me. If we're talking about a post-WW II, US-made Gillette Tech, there is no way that it is going to be aggressive. And I have never heard such a thing as a blade making one razor (reputed to be mild) aggressive and at the same time another razor (reputed to be aggressive) mild. I don't know what variables you are dealing with, but at face value this doesn't make sense.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:
nicodemus38 wrote:no offense but you cant truly consider the tech to be mild or non aggressive. Put a dull blade in, and its aggressive. Toss in a genuine Gillette carbon blue blade in, and its better then some straight razors.

Nic, this makes no sense to me. If we're talking about a post-WW II, US-made Gillette Tech, there is no way that it is going to be aggressive. And I have never heard such a thing as a blade making one razor (reputed to be mild) aggressive and at the same time another razor (reputed to be aggressive) mild. I don't know what variables you are dealing with, but at face value this doesn't make sense.

- Murray
Of course it makes no sense as it's impossible for any blade to shave closer in a respective razor. It may indeed APPEAR as such due to one blade type being sharper and/or smoother. Of course, this implies that one is using it at the optimal angle for that model. Blade gap/exposure is set & invariable. That said, the most 'agressive' of the Tech models is the Canadian pre-war (1932 marked & triangular slots). For me at least, it's the best of the lot. What baffles me is that the Gillette NEW model, LC & SC, purportedly have the same blade gap as the American pre-war Tech yet to my face these NEW models are too aggressive. Go figure.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Good post, BPman. My experience of the NEW was also that it was very aggressive.

- Murray
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I find that the Astra SP blades are the best combo of sharp/smooth of any blade in the same price range. Polsilver SI are wonderful too, but about twice the cost of the Astras.

An earlier post in this thread mentioned sticking with one blade choice while your technique develops -- a very good plan, but you have to find a blade that you can at least tolerate. I found Derbys to be the most forgiving beginner blade, but I don't enjoy shaving with them anymore -- they are less likely to nick, but feel a little rough to me now.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and remember; there are no right or wrong answers in wet shaving -- all that's important is whatever works for you.
disengage
PerfectlyInsane

BiffBuff wrote:I find that the Astra SP blades are the best combo of sharp/smooth of any blade in the same price range. Polsilver SI are wonderful too, but about twice the cost of the Astras.

An earlier post in this thread mentioned sticking with one blade choice while your technique develops -- a very good plan, but you have to find a blade that you can at least tolerate. I found Derbys to be the most forgiving beginner blade, but I don't enjoy shaving with them anymore -- they are less likely to nick, but feel a little rough to me now.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and remember; there are no right or wrong answers in wet shaving -- all that's important is whatever works for you.
Yeah, the first time I shaved with the safety razor it was with the Merkur blade it was just constantly tugging and pulling it wasn't a enjoyable experience. Since I switched to Astra SS I can certainly tolerate it. I rarely get any pulling or nicks. I will use the SS blades until I run out. I'll probably try the SP blades next. I hear the SP's are smooth while the SS's are sharp. But I've heard others say the opposite. I guess I'll find out when I get to that point.
pausted

Post by pausted »

I'm finishing up my last tuck of SP's right now. I have switched to SS's. I find them to be just as smooth but sharper than the SP. I have laid in a good sized supply of the SS blades. I really like them even though they are slightly more expensive than the SP's.
Best regards,

Basil
PerfectlyInsane

I'm down to my last few Astra SS and figure I should start trying out these other blades before ordering some more of the SS. I tried the Astra SP and it is definitely not as comfortable or as close a shave as the SS. At least for my beard. May try the Israeli platinum or the Treet Platinum next.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

if folks will argue up and down that shimming the blade in a old type, new, new improved, etc will changed the shave with any blade, then I KNOW that each razor is different.

I can get just as smooth a shave from my old type as I can with my new improved, 53 tech, 66 travel tech, or black beauty.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I didn't understand your point, Nic. Shimming the blade in any three-piece razor will increase the blade gap and make the razor more aggressive. This is basically what the adjustment mechanism in a Merkur Progress does. This won't work, of course, in a TTO razor because you can't raise the whole head.

- Murray
PerfectlyInsane

I tried the Crystal/Israeli platinum it was a little rough and I did have some irritation, but it was one of the closest shaves I've had so far. I'll probably try it again, maybe just 2 passes instead of my usual 3. I've heard good things about the Personna labs and med preps. I've looked on the internet but it looks like I'd have to buy 100. Anyone know where I can buy just a few to try or anyone that sells sampler packs with them?