Gillette Platinum-Plus blade from Brazil

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Re: Gillette Platinum-Plus blade from Brazil

Post by BPman »

nicodemus38 wrote:my blades have a letter code of K on them, any idea on the age?
http://www.razorarchive.com/gillette-date-codes
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That's a great link. Thanks, BPman.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

So that's interesting... the k code on my just purchased platinum plus blades means they were made in the 1940s.... interesting.

And somehow my no serial number open comb was made in 1903 although it has the wrong handle end,,, or in 1923.
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:So that's interesting... the k code on my just purchased platinum plus blades means they were made in the 1940s.... interesting.

And somehow my no serial number open comb was made in 1903 although it has the wrong handle end,,, or in 1923.
Nic, they started back at A and by 1966 or so, they were at K again. I had the same initial reaction as yours, but decided it would have to be later than the '40s. This is interesting information.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

By my reckoning, "K" would be 1965 and 1991. However, on the chart with BPman's link, there is no "Q"(?). If that is correct, the latter "K" would be 1990.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I recently read an old post here or somewhere that explains that. "Q" was intentionally skipped by Gillette, but there were a very rare few razors that have been found with Q clearly stamped on them. Whether there any Q- bearing blades rising to the surface is probably a mystery that will never be uncovered. Oh, wait! --- Maybe the guys in Russia can fire up the assembly line and run off a batch of Qs. (Just kidding :D ) Edit: (The part about the razors is true.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

I just finished shave #7 with the Brazilian Platinum-Plus. I wanted to see if I could go a week on a single blade which is something I don't do with the other DE blades I regularly use. The blade performed well. It was still smooth and comfortable, however, it had definitely dulled during shaves 6 and 7. It required more pressure to get the job done. I think in future I will stop at 5 shaves. I usually stop at 3 with my Astras.

When adding in Texas sales tax these blades cost 71 cents each. From a purely financial standpoint, they don't stack up well with the Russian blades. I can buy my favorite Astra SS blades in quantity for about 12 cents each. If the shaves are about equal in terms of quality, (which I believe they are) then the Astra wins. Well, I still have 17 Platinum-Plus blades left and I will enjoy using them but I probably won't buy any more. YMMV.
Best regards,

Basil
BPman

Post by BPman »

IMO, the blades are NOS from 1991 that Gillette is dumping for reasons I listed earlier in this thread. DE blades are really so cheap in the overall scheme that I would wager most buy them for how well they work moreso than price. Of course, as with everything there is a ceiling, as pausted pointed out. We are fortunate today in that there are so many great blades available for little money, e.g., all Russian Gillettes, Lord Platinum, Israeli Personnas, etc. We actually have it better regarding selection & price today than our fathers did IMO. The vast majority of the Internet vendors weren't even in business 10 yrs. ago for that matter.

On another note, I was recently talking to a female friend about this hobby when she rolled her eyes and said "you guys are worse than a damn woman!" :shock: :cry: She's right. I got into this not so much to save money, but out of curiosity and as a means to stop getting ingrown hairs. Being practical regarding this went out the window long ago. That short lived practicality morphed into an 'orgy' of blades, DE razors & a host of soaps & creams. However, I am now downsizing as I think a fella reaches a plateau eventually and says "look at all this crap!!". :wink:
brothers

Post by brothers »

So true. One can't just leap to the final stage though. It takes a while to get from the beginning to the plateau. An old SMF friend JimR once called it "reaching the clearing at the end of the path".
Gary

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

there is no plateau at all.

you buy soap when you need it. and when you really don't need it. Its soap. really don't see it going bad. Sure may get musty, but hey we love vintage.

If one of us gets cranky and purchases 3 tubes of musgo cream, no big issue. Sure the price and shipping and taxes.. but women get cranky and buy 200 dollar pair of shoes to feel better. then a matching purse.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Out of curiosity, I sought the price of the original Platinum Plus as made in the USA when introduced. That MSRP was $1.89 for a pack of 10 blades in late 1969 which according to the U.S. Dept. of Labor inflation calculator = $12.21 today. That same year a 5 pack of Gillette Super Stainless 'Spoiler' blades had an MSRP of $0.79. Schick Plus Platinum $1.43 for 10 blades. In 1971 Personna 74 MSRP was $1.69 for 10 blades. However, as one can see from the historical adverts competition ruled the roost and there were constantly specials for buying blades:

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 3304&hl=en

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 3599&hl=en

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 9523&hl=en

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 6245&hl=en
BPman

Post by BPman »

brothers, what was your final verdict on this blade if I may ask? For me, these just hit and dwell on the sweet spot perfectly!! pausted was right in that 5 shaves is about the max. for a perfect shave with degradation thereafter. However, man oh man are those 5 shaves sweet!! =D> I used one today for its second shave in a Gillette English 'flat bottom' Tech with Italian 3p shave soap and it was just perfect.

It's fitting that these are priced a little high lest I buy a lifetime supply and donate most of my other blades to Goodwill!! I have a dream that one day I see these in the 99 Cent store. "Hello Penske, I need to rent a truck!" :lol: :P
brothers

Post by brothers »

I forgot to follow up. I like them. I hope a lot of guys who may not be posting or reading the shaving forums will buy them from these drug and grocery stores and enjoy them thoroughly.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I bought ten packages of these blades. I once lived in Brazil and in Portugal, so I have been interested in shaving supplies from these countries. (My favorite brushes, in badger and in boar, are made by Semogue.) I have long wanted to try some Brazilian Gillettes.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the blades aren't bad. not at all but the thing im learning is this.

they need slightly more technique then some of us can muster in the morning.
BPman

Post by BPman »

nicodemus38 wrote:the blades aren't bad. not at all but the thing im learning is this.

they need slightly more technique then some of us can muster in the morning.
Blades have nothing to do with technique. That's like saying the octane of gasoline I use affects my driving skills. It doesn't. Technique is more determined by the razor at hand, or at the least should be.
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

I don't know, I think I see where he is coming from. A sharper blade will be less forgiving. A more forgiving blade might allow you to get away with marginally worse technique. That seems pretty reasonable.
Dan
BPman

Post by BPman »

LostInCincy wrote:I don't know, I think I see where he is coming from. A sharper blade will be less forgiving. A more forgiving blade might allow you to get away with marginally worse technique. That seems pretty reasonable.
How can a blade be 'forgiving'? Does it have a soul? :wink: Seriously, no matter what blade you put in any given razor the blade gap is set in stone, i.e., it doesn't fluctuate once locked in. All that matters then is the relationship between sharpness & smoothness which is for all intents & purposes totally subjective regarding sensory feedback. If by being 'forgiving' you mean less apt to cut you if the user makes a mistake then that in all likelihood has more to do with the gravity of the shaver's error than anything else IMO. Remember, whether dull or sharp it's still a razor blade. If anything, a duller blade would be far easier to cut one's self with than a sharp one as it will tug, pull & invariably cause the user to wince or flinch thereby making it far easier to make a mistake. Remember the old adage about a dull knife or axe being more dangerous than a sharp one.

Think about it.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

LostInCincy wrote:I don't know, I think I see where he is coming from. A sharper blade will be less forgiving. A more forgiving blade might allow you to get away with marginally worse technique. That seems pretty reasonable.
I agree with Dan here. When I started out, I used a mild razor and a very "forgiving" blade (Dorco ST300). When I tried the sharper blades, I tended to get grazed or nicked. Part of it may be that I have very sensitive skin. As my technique evolved, I migrated to sharper blades, as I have a coarse (if not very dense) beard. When I try an ST300 blade now, I can't believe I ever liked it, as it pulls and requires more effort to achieve a decent cut, but it was the right blade for me early on. (Actually, I think this validates the points made by both Dan and BPman.)

As an aside, there is much talk about different blades working, or not, with different razors. I haven't experienced this, personally. If I like a blade, I like it in all of my razors.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, maybe it's an expectation/ perception issue that is at work. Or, it could be a matter of semantics. The blades are handled differently by the different razors. A specific blade works differently in different razors. I'm going to get two different results with the same DE blade in the Tech vs. the R41; with an SE blade in the OneBlade vs. the Micromatic OC; and with an AC single edge blade in the Cobra Classic vs. the Mongoose.
Gary