Gillette SS Late Prod.

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Gillette SS Late Prod.

Post by BPman »

Last year or so I stumbled into some Gillette Super Stainless that came in a 10 blade white plastic dispenser with red & black letters. The blades are marked 'L 1' which is 1991. I don't have the outside pkg. so I don't know where these were made as some were made in Argentina I believe. Regardless, I have read many people disparaging these later ones as being inferior to the earlier 'Spoiler' blades. That was not my experience. To my face I got the same trademark Gillette super smooth shave. Mine look just like this pkg., which I see was made in France:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-GIL ... SwzgRW0Sds
Rufust445

Re: Gillette SS Late Prod.

Post by Rufust445 »

The last Super Stainless blades I saw at a Rite Aid store near here were a few years ago. They were $10.49 for a 10-pack in the same dispenser and made in Russia. Outrageous, and I don't remember reading any good things about them on shaving sites. A couple of years ago I finished a 10-pack of Gillette Bleue Extra blades in the same dispenser, different stick-on label. They were from the early '80's, made in Annecy, France. Shaves were about as nice as with some Spoilers I had that were made in the USA, in 1974.

I've used up most of my NOS blades, and the price they're going for now is beyond what I'm willing to pay. If the Super Stainless blades in the eBay listing are made in France, just before they closed that plant, they're probably better than those made in Russia and last seen in Rite Aid stores.

That said, I've given up on NOS blades after finding some current blades in the $12-15 per 100 range that work nicely for me.

As always with blades, YMMV
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Not so long ago, NOS blades from the 1970s and 80s were "the best a man can get," and there was quite a gulf in quality between current production and the best blades from the past. At least, that was how I and a number of members felt.

At this time, there are a number of offerings that are pretty comparable. I point specifically to the Personna Hospital blades, the Iridium Polsilver, and the Kai as some examples. It appears that this Gillette blade from Brazil may be in the same league. Hopefully more contenders will become available in the near future.

I like to think this is a reflection the growing demand for DE blades, and the competition to fill that demand, but I'm not sure. It may just be the vagaries of corporate policies . . .who knows.

It is, however, great not to have to watch a supply of NOS blades dwindling and diminishing, with an accompanying sinking feeling that, once gone, we shall not see their like again. As a result, I no longer chase NOS blades, and am equally likely (probably more likely) to just reach for an excellent new production DE blade, confident that it'll deliver an outstanding shave. So even if the whole world is going to hell in a handbasket (and who can deny it?), at least we can feel that times are good out here in wet-shaving land!
brothers

Post by brothers »

BeatlesFan wrote:Not so long ago, NOS blades from the 1970s and 80s were "the best a man can get," and there was quite a gulf in quality between current production and the best blades from the past. At least, that was how I and a number of members felt.

At this time, there are a number of offerings that are pretty comparable. I point specifically to the Personna Hospital blades, the Iridium Polsilver, and the Kai as some examples. It appears that this Gillette blade from Brazil may be in the same league. Hopefully more contenders will become available in the near future.

I like to think this is a reflection the growing demand for DE blades, and the competition to fill that demand, but I'm not sure. It may just be the vagaries of corporate policies . . .who knows.

It is, however, great not to have to watch a supply of NOS blades dwindling and diminishing, with an accompanying sinking feeling that, once gone, we shall not see their like again. As a result, I no longer chase NOS blades, and am equally likely (probably more likely) to just reach for an excellent new production DE blade, confident that it'll deliver an outstanding shave. So even if the whole world is going to hell in a handbasket (and who can deny it?), at least we can feel that times are good out here in wet-shaving land!
For sure, there are a lot of very good ones available right now. That's good for us! :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I agree with BeatlesFan and Gary. I have vintage blades and I have new, and I find many new blades fully comparable with the old ones.

- Murray