1040s razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Unites

1040s razor

Post by Unites »

Been using this for the last 40 years. It was my dad's. Found it in the 50's after he passed away (1953). Any idea of its manufactured year? No Patent number on base where knurling does not exist. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg (739.18 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
mrjediconsular

Re: 1040s razor

Post by mrjediconsular »

i would love to help but i would need to see the underside of the baseplate
Jordan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hello Unites, welcome to SMF!

Your photo only shows half the razor and we can't see the markings on it. The razor head looks like a Gillette Super Speed of the type made between 1946 and 1954 in the US, though the handle is different from the Super Speed I have from this period. Your profile doesn't indicate what country you live in, nor can we see from the photo what country the razor was made in. Though the razor looks like it's a Gillette, the Gillette company made razors in many different countries, with variations in the product from country to country. Gillette razors made in Canada are close to the US product, but there were some differences. British-made Gillettes are even more distinct in their characteristics, and then there are many others.

Gillette didn't start date codes on their US-made razors until 1954, so your razor - if it is of US production - probably doesn't bear coding to show when it was made.

We have members here who would know all of these older Gillettes and would probably recognize your razor immediately, but the members I'm thinking of haven't posted for awhile. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge than mine will find their way here and give you a better answer.

The Super Speed was a very good razor and it was a classic. I have no doubt that your father's razor has served you well all these years.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

actually date codes for American products predate 1954 for Gillette. my 1953 tech disproves it....

It looks like a British Super Speed. until we see the under neath it we wont be sure. But the handle is consistent with a few brits ive seen.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

nicodemus38 wrote:actually date codes for American products predate 1954 for Gillette. my 1953 tech disproves it....
I think you're right. In that case, I'm pretty sure that 1953 was the first year for the date codes, and it would be a "Y". As far as I know, that only applies to US models, however.

- Murray