Gillette Flare and Slim care

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

Gillette Flare and Slim care

Post by nicodemus38 »

Ive been using my flare for a near constant 4 month period now. Once I figured out the right blade and angle it was good. But lately it doesn't seem to be "right" anymore.
In a way it seems to be a cold weather/heavy beard growth razor suddenly. I do admit for a few weeks now, and correlating with the change in shave quality, my beard growth has slowed down.

And im wondering on just what the proper thing is. Send the flare out for a mechanical checkup to see if I buggered it up somehow?
Gene

Re: Gillette Flare and Slim care

Post by Gene »

My opinion (for what it's worth): A razor that is decades old and was functioning fine a month ago most likely hasn't had anything happen to it - unless you dropped it or banged it in some way. It might be possible that the blade isn't seated just right, but that's most likely a long shot, too.

When I notice things going off I focus on my prep and technique - sometimes the little things can get in the way without you noticing.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

haven't dropped it. switched to platinum plus and that was perfect. then it started getting weird shaves. but I can still shave myself just fine with my 53 tech.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Nic, the razor would have to be damaged in some form, as Gene pointed out, so that just leaves variation in user technique. As human beings, we are much more susceptible to spontaneous change than is the case with a hard metallic object like a razor. For reasons that would be very difficult to pin-point, you are more comfortable with the Tech right now. I would put the Super Speed aside and come back to it later, when you may experience it differently.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Check for some crud buildup. A tiny amount makes for a surprisingly large difference.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

There was perhaps a light wash of soap residue on the underside, but nothing else. In fact I do remember it loosening up on me once or twice the last few uses.
So this afternoon I blew it out with spray cleaner and flushed it all out with lots of water. and then a good long 91% Iso flush.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Loosening up? Do you mean that last quarter turn that locks the blade in place? I don't think that should happen. After you clean it really well a bit of mineral oil in the mechanism might help that, too. When I get a "new" old razor the mineral oil bath is part of the ritual - especially if it sticks a bit.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The "last quarter turn" only applies to Gillette Adjustables. The standard Gillette TTOs (Super Speeds, Aristorcrats, etc) don't have this.

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

I thought they did - it seems like my '55 did that, but it's been a while since I had it out.

Sorry for the bad advice.
Gene

Mark Twain

Alan Moore
BPman

Post by BPman »

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap ultrasonic cleaner.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Im almost starting to think the issue has been the use of platinum plus blades. the blades to good work, but im starting to think they need a very specific skin type and soap charecteristics I cant get at the moment with hard water.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I suppose that's possible, but it seems a big stretch to have a negative interaction between hard water and a particular blade that creates a problem. I'm going to discount that theory and go with operator error. Speaking only for myself, that's almost always the root of my "problems".
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

my flare shaved fine with Williams and a family dollar blade. just fine.

my flare and my razorock classic cream and Williams mix shaved fine with both the family dollar blades and platinum plus.

I changed my soap to the colgate puck and well it was just fine, just a few nicks.

I do know a few times it did loosen up, but I don't recall rotating it on myself mid shave. I like to keep thumb and forefinger just under the head, and my pinky on the very end.
That I admit could have caused the loosening, and that's what I assumed at the time. But the shave via blade/skin kept getting worse.