a thought on blade quality and the whole "excalibur" concept

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

a thought on blade quality and the whole "excalibur" concept

Post by nicodemus38 »

Re: Gillette Nacet Stainles Blades. Anyone tried them???

Postby Wills01 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:58 pm

James, so kind of you to let me know your thoughts. It's a bit of a coincidence, but my top rated blade is the perma sharp, i am up to 17 shaves with it at this time, superb. This is followed closely by the medprep. Then the yellow. All blades i use are palm stropped, pss goes to 25 to 29 great 5 pass shaves, meds are a close second.

I will take into account your experience of them and give the nacet a wide berth. Thanks again.

All the very, very best
Wills.

This is a post from an old thread about the Gillette nacet stainless blades. For me it raised an interesting question that has never been explained elsewhere for me before.

If a blade is so wonderful, and lasts 20+ shaves, and each shave involves 5 individual passes to accomplish. Then are you actually using a good blade?

The blades ive been using, I can get a one pass shave, and touchup in on area on my neck, regardless of how many days it has been between shaves. Sure were all different, but when I start having to increase the number of passes to complete a shave with an individual blade. I know its time for a new blade.

Thoughts?
brothers

Re: a thought on blade quality and the whole "excalibur" con

Post by brothers »

I've never encountered anyone who claims to get the perfect shave every time, in only one pass. Perhaps we're using differing terminology. In my case, regardless of the blade, I like to take one pass with the grain (WTG); a second pass across the grain (XTG), and the final pass against the grain (ATG). Keep in mind I am shaving for the experience of a few moments of enjoyment as opposed to an unpleasant but necessary daily chore that should be completed in as little time as possible. When I'm in a hurry, its easier for me to just skip the whole shave and move on. Only to return to the shave when I have the time to carry out my little rituals, whether the benefits are real or imagined. A good shave is a good way for me to start the day.

Edit: nic, I missed your reference to Arthur's sword. My favorite blades are plenty sharp of course, but my whiskers "need" to be treated to the full 3 course treatment. At least that's what I tell myself so I can keep doin' it that way. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Re: a thought on blade quality and the whole "excalibur" con

Post by nicodemus38 »

I like the 3 pass shave but the thing is. I don't need it at all.

doesn't matter how long between shaves. I can lather up with say, lowly erasmic and one pass with a platinum plus and im DFS. sure theres one spot on my neck I have to retouch no matter how many passes I do.