Shim an Aristocrat -- yes, it works

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
slackskin

Shim an Aristocrat -- yes, it works

Post by slackskin »

Conventional wisdom says don't shim a TTO razor, due (in my view) to theory-based objections rather than actual experience. Of course, conventional wisdom is often wrong and should be challenged and verified or disproved. So I tried it -- and it works. With 2 shims on top of the cutting blade (which is to say between the blade and the doors), the performance on my Aristocrat was noticeably better for the last few days. I have a very tough beard, and this shimming on top produced a closer shave while still being mild on the skin.

Now I will try the shim underneath the cutting blade (which I think won't work as well) and see what happens.
BPman

Re: Shim an Aristocrat -- yes, it works

Post by BPman »

Rather than go through all that BS, just simply find a razor that shaves to your liking and either relegate the current one to your collection or sell it. Far simpler. THAT is conventional wisdom. :wink:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Slackskin, putting the shims on top in a TTO makes sense. Interesting to hear that the razor still shaved well, as well as giving you the desired closer shave.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

however I do foresee an easy way to damage the doors and even the t bar in a tto razor by doing this.
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

BPman wrote:Rather than go through all that BS, just simply find a razor that shaves to your liking and either relegate the current one to your collection or sell it. Far simpler. THAT is conventional wisdom. :wink:
You make a point, BPMan. There is another aspect to this that I should explain. As a 70-year-old, I can remember when American Made manufactured goods were the finest in the world and the standard to be emulated by others -- particularly the then-undeveloped economies of Asia and India. The vintage Gillettes to me are a celebration of that era, and they warm my heart like no modern razor (reglardless of how it performs) can do. Our forefathers figured out ways to make things work, not just jump on to the next thing and spend money with abandon.
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

nicodemus38 wrote:however I do foresee an easy way to damage the doors and even the t bar in a tto razor by doing this.
I understand what you're saying, Nick. Maybe it's just my particular Aristocrat, but the doors close fully before descending to the blade, so it doesn't seem a problem in this particular case.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

there is a very small amount of tolerance in the gap height of all tto razors to allow for manufacturing deviations.

I just see to much chance for damage.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Nic, you're talking theory. Slackskin has knowledge based on actual experience.

The domes on those old Aristocrats have quite a bit of space in them. Some time in the 1960s, Gillette lowered the profile of the TTO razor domes, which might make such shims impractical - but we won't actually know that unless someone tries it.

I give Slackskin credit for a clever idea and success in the implementation thereof.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

The old razors are quite durable and one shouldn't feel too reluctant to try new stuff based on a mere fear that something might get damaged. It's only when excessive force is a factor that damage might be more likely to occur. For example, dropping or striking a razor, or continuing to force something when it's obvious that one feels a strong physical resistance is being encountered. These aren't delicate instruments, they're survivors of decades of use and or abuse, and still going strong.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well then care to explain why I see so many photos of disassembled Gillette ttos that have the t bar lifter all bent to hell? its hard to claim dropping it in the sink did the damage....

However I bet using a thicker razor blade itself would be a marked improvement for the razor in question. and less of a hassle anyways then shimming is.
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:well then care to explain why I see so many photos of disassembled Gillette ttos that have the t bar lifter all bent to hell? its hard to claim dropping it in the sink did the damage....

However I bet using a thicker razor blade itself would be a marked improvement for the razor in question. and less of a hassle anyways then shimming is.
Yes, I probably can easily explain it if it appears excessive force was used (as I said), or dropping it on the floor. I'd love it if you can provide a link to one or more of those many photos, or better yet, post some.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

if you go to the badger and blade forum, captain murphy has a beautiful restoration thread of Gillette tto razors. some are even adjustable. He takes the whole thing apart and fixes them. a large number of those photos show the t bar lifter system being bent one way or another.
I can only assume that that part can only be bent by the use of a screw driver, or heavy force being used on in. I do not have a badger and blade membership anymore so I cant post any of those photos here.
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I like the Aristocrats from the 1940s. I own two of them. Great razor, and very solid. I'd personally be surprised if you damaged the TTO by using a shim. Worst case: maybe you do cause some damage. In which event you can just buy another one, as they aren't really all that rare or expensive.

On the other hand, speaking only for myself, I like the Aristocrat's blade gap and design just as it is, so I wouldn't use a shim in mine.

Anyway, good luck with it, and I hope it all works out and provides a satisfying shave for you.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My '46-47 Aristocrat seems to be a bit more aggressive than the later ones.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I haven't used my Aristocrats for awhile, but I have two of them: A 1946-1947 and a 1948-1950. I would agree that the former is more aggressive.

- Murray