the SIngle Edge

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

the SIngle Edge

Post by nicodemus38 »

The Single Edge is the niche market in our niche market of shaving with actual razors. The injector gets more conversation going them the old SE does.

You can get nice to exceptionally nice SE razors on ebay all the time. Theres a great micro matic on ebay in the original case and near mint condition for 10 bucks plus shipping. Ive nothing to do with it.

The problem is, in order to get a SE, you have to see it in person to make a correct assumption on its shave safety let alone aggressiveness.

That's because a lot of the old designs rely upon extremely small pins and tabs to hold/position the blade for safe shaving. and if the tab is damaged, or gone, you wont be able to use the razor unless you know how to do jewelers level soldering and brazing.

But with say a Gillette old type its an almost given youll be getting a usable razor. Sure, even if one of the little stubs is missing, the other one holds everything nice and safe when its properly assembled.
ShadowsDad

Re: the SIngle Edge

Post by ShadowsDad »

Lot's of us use SE razors and we know to ask for better pictures and ask questions of the seller. FWIW, if the pics are out of focus I never bother. Anyone can tell an in focus picture from an out of focus one and I figure they're deliberately hiding something so I don't waste my time.

Lot's of us think SE razors give a much better shave. I have 4 (?) DE razors that made the final cut in the cabinet and I can't tell you the last time that I used one.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the easiest to find SE is the autostrop, and I haven't seen MANY people say they are usable anymore.

The cost and limited number of blades being made for the SE is another big hindrance. SOME of the finest ones made need special blades that haven't been made since Eisenhower joined the army.

Quality of picture isn't quite the issue it should be. I have bought regular razors that had less then stellar photos taken of them and came out with decent items. Its just that so many people sell 5 identical razors and simply reuse the photos of the best looking one for each item.

example, guy sells three Camaros. same color, same model year, but one is show room qood, one is rusty, and one is wrapped around a phone pole and simply uses the show room quality photo for all ads.

The shave quality of mild and aggressive is another major factor for the standard SE razor. The whole style of shave is different for each different SE razor, and its not as easy to translate 5 years of DE shaving to a happy shave with a SE or even and injector.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Nic' I was telling you what I do when I see crappy pix. You do what you want. I haven't the time to nursemaid anyone who doesn't have the pride in posting a decent picture in an auction that they initiated. I just can't trust that sort of person. Really? They can't see that the picture is the pits? :-) Nope, I have no time for that. Glad that you've had good experiences with those auctions.

Autostrops give a great shave and blades are beyond plentiful; but they are a bit mild for me and I stated that in my review of them. One just has to know what to buy. The information is in the public domain. I know, I put it there. So to is the issue of mild, or aggressive. I know 'cause I put it there as well. At least for commonly found SE razors. There is also a site that deals exclusively with SE razors.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square