Open Comb TTO

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

Open Comb TTO

Post by nicodemus38 »

I am curious as to who here has an open comb tto on the forums.

Cadet
Pearl
Gillette senator, Sheraton, some Aristocrats

Ive seen photos of all brands made by these companies but most of the places that advertise as having cadet or pearl tto oc, all seem to be "last remaining stock" options from "small online stores" generally located in countries where, the shipping charges are unpleasant for customers, and safety of shipping is well comical...

Im trying to see the opinions on them, I know the Gillette ones were loved, and id love a Gillette but ive heard good things on the cadet, and from what little I have found out, pearl may be the same thing with subtle design changes.
brothers

Re: Open Comb TTO

Post by brothers »

I was fortunate to find one of the original Aristocrats in original case from around 1914 or so. It has the open comb and the flare knob on the handle. It shaves very well, but I have learned to use shims on those Old Type open comb heads. I prefer the floating heads. This brings me to the 1938 Open Comb TTO Aristocrat. It also performs very well, similar to the Sheraton. Those two Aristocrats are not as agressive as my 1946-'47 Aristocrat, they're a bit milder as are the '48 and newer Aristocrats in my opinion.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444