Gillette, what are the true innovations

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

Gillette, what are the true innovations

Post by nicodemus38 »

I am curious as to what the masses here consider to be gillettes true innovations in shaving.
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Gillette, what are the true innovations

Post by jww »

Three piece razors and TTO. The Tech is a work of art, and the engineering behind the TTO mechanism is genius. Not to mention these vintage Gillette razors have gobs of life in the product -- they were/are bomb-proof.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nic, you accidentally forgot to list your suggestions for the best innovations from Gillette. I believe the Trac II was a very important innovation. If you're talking razors and blades, I'd probably go with mass production and worldwide marketing strategy. If King Gillette came up with the disposable double edge blade, then I'll give him a thumbs up on that one. I'd like to know what you would list.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

personally his first true innovation is his system of blade design. Until then you had the choice of a true straight razor, or a wedge bladed razor, that simply used a short section of regular straight razor and the same sharpening and honing issues.

Within a decade of the Gillette razor blade, the only competition that remained was the valet auto strop and the gem razor which abandoned the wedge blade and made their single edge blade.

other wise

the Gillette new improved/new standard razor.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I greatly respect the real innovation when G brought out those razors and blades from nothing. I don't know the history well enough to state that there were no other inventors out there trying to get it right. In recent times Gillette has perfected the plastic disposable too. I believe the Fusion was a clear step up from previous designs even if the vibration is hokey; it is the lubricating strip that makes it work. Now there are lots of other choices with them.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
BPman

Post by BPman »

Ouchmychin wrote:...In recent times Gillette has perfected the plastic disposable too...
Bic in France invented the modern disposable in 1971. Gillette didn't have one (Good News) until 1976, five years later.
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

BPman wrote:
Ouchmychin wrote:...In recent times Gillette has perfected the plastic disposable too...
Bic in France invented the modern disposable in 1971. Gillette didn't have one (Good News) until 1976, five years later.
And after eight years of practice w. a DE, the Bic Sensitive single blade is still the best disposable I've tried.

With a $2.00 coupon, just picked up a bag of 12 of them for a net cost of just under 10¢ per razor.

As always with blades, YMMV
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Razors for all men
Barbers shaved us long ago
That's innovation
Rich
BPman

Post by BPman »

Rufust445 wrote:And after eight years of practice w. a DE, the Bic Sensitive single blade is still the best disposable I've tried.

Try the Gillette Guard made in India. Far better IMO:

http://www.italianbarber.com/products/g ... dge-blades
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

i have a feeling the one bladed Gillette disposable is left in the dust by say perhaps, any new improved, or old type in terms of anti clogging.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Well, I said I didn't know the history. Besides, I am an oddball on this forum. One of my favorites is the Schick Hydro 5. I can almost shave in my sleep. I don't feel I've mastered anything though.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the two blade cartridge razors work the best because they let the junk flow through. the lube strip wasn't actually needed.

on the current crop of multi blade cartridges, the lube strip is the only way people say they don't have irritation. And at the same time in my own experience the modern gel lube strip is actually designed to terminate the razors useful life by dissolving and gumming the blades up faster.
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

BPman wrote:Try the Gillette Guard made in India. Far better IMO:

The per blade cost of the Guard is about $1.20, or twice what the Brazilian Gillette DE blades go for at Walgreens.

And, that's 1200% more than the 10¢ per blade I can get the Bic Sensitive disposables for.

I got in to this "hobby" to save money. Gimme a break!
BPman

Post by BPman »

Rufust445 wrote:
BPman wrote:Try the Gillette Guard made in India. Far better IMO:

The per blade cost of the Guard is about $1.20, or twice what the Brazilian Gillette DE blades go for at Walgreens.

And, that's 1200% more than the 10¢ per blade I can get the Bic Sensitive disposables for.

I got in to this "hobby" to save money. Gimme a break!

You can buy replacement heads (blades) for it cheaper on Ebay. Try one.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The going price including shipping is $0.30 each from India. There are many ebay vendors selling at this price.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

I had several Guards and a boatload of spare blade heads, but I sold one with all the blades to young buddy who loved it and the last one I gave to a friend who head shaves. If I had to use a disposable type for the rest of my life it would be the Guard hands down. It was as well the fastest I had ever shaved with.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I really cant see the disposables as being innovations let alone improvements in anything.

not in value or shave quality. If I had to choose between getting a new cartridge system and not shaving, I would not shave. for the cost of the original handle, and enough blade refills to last me 2 measely months, I would be able to get on ebay and purchase a near mint condition Bostonian with original case and blade banks. and have a few pennies to pay for shipping.