aggressive reputations of razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

aggressive reputations of razors

Post by nicodemus38 »

Im just really curious, how certain models of razors have gotten their eternal reputations of being "aggressive" and "easy mild shavers perfect for the Saturday morning hangover"
brothers

Re: aggressive reputations of razors

Post by brothers »

Speaking only for myself, when I use a razor that is aggressive, mild or whatever, it's knowledge gained from first hand experience. Wisdom entails avoiding prejudice based on hearsay.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well for example the old type is supposedly a blood bath for anyone but the hardest skinned sob lumber jack, I get good shaving.

the 1946-1947 aristocrat I used today, has a legendary status as an extremely aggressive razor, supposedly the most aggressive of all aristocrat tto and possibly any Gillette tto.

I shaved with that aristocrat today with a brand new platinum plus in it and it was not that legendary aggressiveness. More like my super adjustable on a setting of 3.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's hyperbole. I have and have used both of them with no problems.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I think it also depends on how sensitive the skin of the individual shaver is. My skin is very sensitive, so my definition of "aggressive" might differ from yours. (For example, an Edwin Jagger/Muehle is too aggressive for me for regular use.)

From my experience with a Fatboy Adjustable and a Super Adjustable, a setting of "3" on either of these razors is very mild. My Red Tip Super Speeds, my '46-47 Aristocrat, and my '48-50 Aristocrat are all too aggressive for me and very definitely more aggressive than a Gillette adjustable on "3."

I have also heard some differing opinion on the Gillette NEW, which is the most aggressive razor I have ever tried. I don't think I have ever gotten through a whole shave with one of these.

There is probably some variation between individual examples of each razor, but I wouldn't expect it to be significant.

- Murray
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

My Sledgehammer Slant
Is said to be aggressive
Never bit me once
Rich
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

ive had one shave with my 46-47 aristocrat and it was almost as smooth and nice as my new improved does.
but I wouldn't try to do more then two passes max with it.

I have to try to figure this one out.

I have sensitive skin and really heavy duty facial hair.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

As I've stated here before, my starting point is to choose the razor for the skin and the blade for the beard. So, I use a mild razor for my sensitive skin and one of the sharper blades for my coarse beard. One can experiment from there.

Lather also makes a difference, and I make a wet, slippery lather to allow the blade of a mild razor (and narrow blade gap) ready access to the beard. With a really mild razor, such as a Gillette Tech or a Feather AS-D1, this is especially necessary. A more cushiony lather impedes the cut and requires more pressure, resulting in more irritation. A Schick Krona or a Merkur Progress/Mergress on lowest setting is just enough more aggressive (has just enough additional blade gap) to allow a thicker application of my wet lather or to allow the lather to be a tiny bit more cushiony.

So Nic, the kind of lather you make could be influencing your shaving circumstances. That doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong; it just means that all of these factors come into play.

- Murray
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I know my Futur is more aggressive than any other razor (other than a straight) that I have used. If I set it more than a 2 it is a dangerous weapon. The blade geometry requires vigilance not to slant the razor too much or it will slice and not to press too hard or it will scrape off skin.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I agree about the 39C slant -- it doesn't deserve a reputation for aggressiveness. My R41 however, demands my full attention to avoid nicks -- I call that aggressive.
disengage
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

The only way to judge the aggressiveness of a razor is for you to try them out yourself. Some that are deemed aggressive, I've found to be just fine, and some that are deemed great shavers, I've found them to be too mild.
Most Gillette TTOs for me are too mild, except for the red tip which is just fine.
The original Muhle R41 is very, very aggressive and has to be treated with care.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have yet to use any fixed head Gillette that I would class as truly aggressive. But some definitely are more aggressive than others.

In the SE world the GEM OCMM has a reputation for being quite aggressive. Yet it's not my favorite razor because if anything, for me it's simply not aggressive enough. I can use it, it's just not my fav'. I think it got the rep' it has in some circles is because some new shavers have to buy any and all razors. The OCMM is easily found and inexpensive. Someone new to shaving and trying an OCMM might have problems with it, hence i=the reputation for it being an aggressive razor. Pure speculation of course. There are SE razors that are significantly more aggressive and they don't have the rep'. They are also a bit more difficult to find.

As Nitrox wrote, you need to try a razor and decide for yourself. I've found that as technique matures, and hopefully gets better, that razors that were once too aggressive become pussycats. The razor didn't change, the user did.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Nic a lot of what I've read on shaving boards are people repeating what other people have said and eventually it becomes something everyone knows, except those who actually do the work and gain the experience.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the aristocrat is a good razor, just that when it gets on my chin I have a real hard time finding a way to get the correct angle. Then I get nicks..

Its extremely efficient and I can easily see it as a razor you only want to use every other day.
razorwhiz

Post by razorwhiz »

I own a Merkur 47c & a EJ DE89. They are both good razors but, I find them a little too aggressive for me. I am currently using a Dorco plastic razor & find it to be mild for me. I got it off the Bay for 6 bucks shipped. It would also make a good travel razor IMO.