restoration versus collectibility

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

restoration versus collectibility

Post by nicodemus38 »

Im just a curious fellow and have a curious fellow type of question, well two or three actually.

I always see that Gillette supposedly used a rather thin layer of plateing for their gold and silver razors. Very thin just microns thick. Yet the 1946-1947 aristocrat im holding has THICK plating on the bottom of the tto knob, but rather thin plating the closer you get to the top.

Im curious if plating varies on part of the razor.

Im curious if it varies from model and production year.

I am wondering if a good razor, if replated gains anything other then looking nice. I see a lot of replated gillettes going for astronomical prices online and am curious.
Does the rhodium replated new or tech or superspeed suddenly become a massive value razor, like it would be if it had left the factory with such a plating?
slackskin

Re: restoration versus collectibility

Post by slackskin »

One restorer/replater (Razor Emporium) claims to put a razor through a tune-up process, straigntening/tweaking/aligning. They also say that their plating is much thicker than that which came out of the factory. http://www.razoremporium.com

Disclosure - I don't work for them, not paid by them, no financial investment in their company. Just reporting what their website says.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I personally wouldn't use razoremporium for a tto mechanism, or a toggle. The plating isnot supposed to be thick.

On the other hand, thicker does mean better durability for most things.

I have seen way to many standard issue razors get fancy replating and get the associated cost of the item that was originally factory plated in gold or rhodium.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think money spent on replating is probably not recoverable in the reselling of the razor. It's a vanity thing in a great many cases. I think replating a great old razor with provenance might be like refinishing an old table or chair. What's been destroyed was the original finish from the good old days that represented a large part of the value. Just another guess on my part.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gold does not make a durable plating, so a very thin layer was used for appearance and it was covered/protected by a durable clearcoat. Any gold plating done today would need to include such protection. This is not necessary with nickel, chrome, or rhodium.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

ive been looking at rhodium and black rhodium and something popped up on commercial plating websites. the black rhodium rings I see online, are not going to last plating wise. Some wedding rings in a black rhodium finish will be needing to be replated ever 3-5 months.
Not exactly a durable finish for a ring, but for a razor?

this aristocrat in my bathroom that im testing has the finish worn down to something like rose gold in spots. its still attractive, in appearance and function but its an old girl who has been many places and seen many things. It is the fanciest of my small heap of razors in history and looks. It does seem a crime to not re plate. But at the same time it could be seen as wrong to.

I have no real issue replating but at the same time, its a concept I don't know much of really. I see so many junk razors on ebay that simply got tossed in a plating tank and relisted as 8 times the original price,.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sounds like one of my Gillette Techs. Once you wear through the lacquer, the gold wears away quickly and exposes the brass underneath. I don't know if all Gillette gold-plated razors are made of brass, or not, but it seems that one normally finds brass under the gold.

The only caveat if you replate a razor is that you report having done so if you decide to sell it.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

What's missing in this discussion is some posts from guys who have actually had their razors replated. A discussion of hypotheticals is a lot of hot air, isn't it? I'd love to see some real life experiences with various razors and coatings.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My real life experience is I don't bother because it doesn't make the razor shave any better. I would restore/replate a family heirloom or something of sentimental value but that would be for preservation.
Regards,
Squire