Three Blade Shave

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Three Blade Shave

Post by BPman »

I like to tinker with obscure DE blades as merely a diversion sometimes. After tonight's shave I think that is done, outside of Gillette blades. :cry:

Having a three day growth, I did a meticulous prep with a shower and then Proraso cream. I had received some blades from tryablade.com today to play with and I let 'er rip. First up was the ZAE blade purported to be from Japan. Rough as a cob. I then switched to a KAI blade from Japan as well. Rough as a cob as well. I then switched to a Lord Racer Platinum Class blade. It was perhaps half as bad. Certainly, nothing like their top tier Lord Platinum.

Back in 2013 I remember buying some Noxema men's disposables that had KAI blades and the shave was wretched to say the least. Nonetheless, I decided to try one of their DE blades and was rewarded with the same lackluster performance. All of these blades lacked any smoothness whatsoever tonight.

More often than not I lose when I try non-mainstream blades in search of some 'sleeper'. I have yet to hit paydirt. #-o
CMur12

Re: Three Blade Shave

Post by CMur12 »

I have a pretty good range of blades that I like, but I didn't care for the one KAI blade I tried, either. I, too, found it rough.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

its not really worth trying to get some vintage blade and find it works. Its not economical and no two packages ever seem to be the same. Actually ive found a lot of modern blades aren't really the same package to package.

my family dollar blades come CLOSE. platinum plus does to. Wilkinson sword,,, eh..
BPman

Post by BPman »

These weren't vintage, they are all modern.
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is a clear illustration of YMMV. Kai DE blades and the Noxzema/Kai disposable razors are excellent on my YMMV scale. Weird isn't it! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Kai blades have performed very well for me also, though admittedly I haven't bought any in years.
Regards,
Squire