cased razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

cased razors

Post by nicodemus38 »

Is it normal that once you get to enjoy vintage Gillette razors, that you want to suddenly find a nice cased Gillette razor or two?

And when you DO decide on that, you suddenly start finding that those razors ARE available and that they are in great condition, like a ww1 khaki set with the original mirror with microscopic bids on them, or abc pocket razors in nearly mint condition going for a song?

and then remember that you need to get your current razors looked at first?

its annoying. Last year when I wanted a set, all I found was junk selling for museum prices, and museum pieces selling for well, far more then they should have been.
CMur12

Re: cased razors

Post by CMur12 »

I've picked up a few vintage cased razors along the way. It's kind of nice to have them around. :)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

As you say, if they're selling, then the buyer must must have been satisfied that he or she is paying what it's worth. That's the only way to determine what a collectable is worth. If a particular item is offered for sale but not selling, then the asking price must be too high. I'm not sure whether this is responsive to what you are asking, or maybe you're just tossing out an observation for discussion.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well yes and no. Its something I just want to chat about. and well it is an interesting observation.

A lot of razors do indeed sell for astronomical prices. and at other times, they just pop up for very little in comparison.
Example would be I see a polished up abc pocket set that sold for 258 dollars last year, looked replated. yet there are one or two lesser condition ones, just dull looking, that are sitting around for under 50 dolars. same pattern set.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

how do you guys deals with cleaning of the actual cases you end up with?

I see the case and the razor as something im going to use. not just look at. as a result I do admit I am more interested in either really great cases with razors that are good mechanically but plating isn't that big a deal plater. if I can get say, a double ring in decent condition for 20 bucks, I have no problem shelling out to have the whole thing replated case, blade banks, and razor when I see so many in 75% + condition sell for 150$.

But how have you handled the interiors? the nice little velvet lining that holds that razor in. and all the decades of contamination?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm a user not a preservationist but if you want to learn the skills velvet fabric is cheap.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

There's always going to be a difference between original condition and a restoration. Personally, I like to find an original that shows a little or a lot of experience. Especially when the price is fair and on the low side.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

cases with wear don't always have a fair price on them. And fairness can be determined by the simple, is it really worth spending money on it..
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:cases with wear don't always have a fair price on them. And fairness can be determined by the simple, is it really worth spending money on it..
I absolutely agree. If the asking price is too high, I just pass on by. If it's reasonable, then I'll look it over closely and might even bargain for it or pay the asking price if it's reasonable. When it comes to prices, asking is a far cry from getting. If it's an ebay auction, it's a whole different buying strategy depending on the starting price and the apparent condition, and whether there are other guys bidding to win.
Gary

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I hate snipers on ebay. Had a mint, and I mean mint condition Hoffritz slant TRAVEL set get snipped last night. I couldn't even see any wear to the plating on the threads it was that mint.

Theres a NOS unopened birth date razor ive gone whole hog on. I admit I have a couple that are just a quarter off either way on my watch list at reasonable prices because they could use a replate.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's hoping you can be the winner this time.
Gary

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Ive seen NOS of my birth year go for 220 before because the original package is factory new. this one is discolored, but I do admit I feel ridiculous putting a large max bid on something.

But the last time I went all out on a razor, I got a 1969 gold super adjustable, and ive seen a few sell in the last month on ebay for 3-4 times what I paid for it. SO that makes me smile like a happy cat.

I did see an immaculate almost never used British No. 16 aristocrat open come, rhodium plate, with the original shipper and display box sell for 6-700$ this year. and a standard safety bar version sell for a mere 160. with all the packages and papers.

I still think its a sickness.