Fat Boy versus Slim

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

Fat Boy versus Slim

Post by nicodemus38 »

Im just curious, from what I gather there are differences in the shave, but how much of a difference?
brothers

Re: Fat Boy versus Slim

Post by brothers »

There are differences, and I presume each user who notices differences will be the judge of just how much or how little it may be. Too subjective.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well how can we get things subject.

I know the head is bigger on the fat boy, is it actually any chance of a situation comparable to say old type to new standard?

I like my new standard a lot, the whole geometry of the handle. Does the fat boy handle make balance better then the slim?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I have a Fatboy and I had a Super Adjustable. I also have a Slim (actually an Aristocrat Adjustable, which is just a gold-plated Slim), but I haven't ever tried it.

I like the short, thick handle of the Fatboy and I like the balance. I require a mild razor and at a setting of "4" the Fatboy works well for me. I don't find it as effective a shaver as my Mergress, however.

Most like the Super Adjustable best of the Gillette adjustables, but I didn't like mine. I was unable to see any misalignment or damage, but it tended to bite me, unlike my other razors. I gave this one away.

I think the Merkur Progress (Mergress in my case) is a better design for an adjustable than the Gillettes. The Gillettes change the blade angle in order to change the blade gap. I haven't tried mine at many different settings, but this situation would strongly suggest different shaving characteristics, beyond just blade gap, with the change of setting. The Progress/Mergress keeps the blade at the same angle, moving the whole head assembly up and down above the safety bars. Changing blades with the Progress/Mergress is fussier, however, than it is with the TTO adjustables made by Gillette.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

For me the short, fat handle and long, slim handle have different balance points. I prefer the slim.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I like my super adjustable. the whole weight is mainly in the head. gets some really good maneuvering on it. I get best results keeping my hand down near the bottom half of the handle.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I never had a SA, but I have a Slim, and I might still have the fatboy. I never cared for the fatboy, but there for a time I really liked the Slim. For me it was the head. But I'm one of those folks who prefers pre-'21 fixed head Gillettes.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well im hoping the larger dimensions on the handle of a fatboy would help give me a shave more like the new standard does.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well it came, and I liked it.

the size is perfect for me. To be honest on a setting of 2 it was awfully damn smooth. Note I have used that platinum plu blade for 9 shaves now. and tis still good.

it maneuvered like my aristocrat. perfect under the nose. im curious as I hear the head is "too big" for under the nose comfort.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Glad to hear you like it, Nic! I really like the thick handle, the heft, and the balance of the Fatboy. It is a supremely comfortable razor to handle.

- Murray
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Fatboy is a truck
Slim is a mid-size sedan
Both deliver well
Rich
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I used proraso blue over a layer of erasmic. geesus Christ it was a slimey bubbly mess. but shaved GOOOOOD.

I admit ive had techs get HOT from rinsing under the tap, but this puppy just got warm, and it had better glide I think when it got WARM.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The key difference is the profile of the head of the razor which I am attaching to this post - from left to right, Fatboy, Slim, Slim Long Handle. The Fatboy being the highest from bottom plate to top of the head, and the long-handled (black) slim being the lowest.

I have settled on setting 4 of the slim for my daily driver.
Attachments
Dated RazorsPicture 003_sm.jpg
Dated RazorsPicture 003_sm.jpg (25.72 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?