Adjustable Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

Adjustable Razor

Post by nicodemus38 »

I just discovered the Rockwell Model T today. And its something I have been making in my head for years in concept at least.

Would you guys rather pay 100$ today, for an adjustable razor you wont even get in the mail for at least another year if I read their website correctly?

Or would you rather pay less money for something just as solid and nice, you could get THIS year?

If you could turn your almost favorite 2 or 3 piece razor into an adjustable for under 35$ would you?

If it offered the same gap settings as your fat boy or slim does?

Same gaps as your favorite non Gillette adjustable razor does?

If you had the same gap height settings, but had the control to adjust ANYWHERE on the dial from 1-9, im talking if 1-9 gives you a height range of .4-2 mm, would you want to adjust to any height, even between the numbers?
Ive seen a lot of guys complain they wish they could get the gap between the number settings on the dial, I know several people on other forums who make money by adjusting razor gaps to custom needs.

And what about turning your TTO razor into something similar?

This isn't a gag, or anything like it. Serious questions because I CAN do it.
brothers

Re: Adjustable Razor

Post by brothers »

I'd be interested in seeing it and reading reviews. I have no doubt you can do it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

send me a few wieshis and I can get going. just spent a few bucks on a good E2 Fat Boy. it was either that or go nuts looking at them.
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Nic - would you consider making a SS Flair Tip adjustable?
J T

Post by J T »

I've got one of those Nic, it's called a Futur 8)
~ Jack
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I was unfamiliar with it so I had to look it up:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ro ... shaving-pe

It looks like a Gillette Slim and when the narrator said it was plated brass it sounded like a Gillette Slim too. If they copied it I have no doubt that it will work. But I can get a Slim in really good shape for what $30-$40? I wish them luck with their Kickstarter, but I'm out. I have 2 Slims and I didn't spend $100 for both of them together. But for someone who wants a newly manufactured "Slim" it would be just the thing.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Th future is quaint. However its nothing like I have in my head.

If you give me a tad bit of material assistance, you can make in my opinion anything an adjustable. The only issue is that some razors would need more work done, and some would need a small rework.

As I envision my system, your flare tip would end up about the same overall handle length as a Slim. Maybe in between. Is that okie dokie?
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

nicodemus38 wrote:As I envision my system, your flare tip would end up about the same overall handle length as a Slim. Maybe in between. Is that okie dokie?
Absolutely OK. I will send you a PM.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Tis weird. SOme are for it, some against it.

Some of the most hyped razors are just recreations of existing products im baffled. Sure its odd but whats wrong with a normal person creating some new razors?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nothing wrong with that! =D>
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have razors that I like and wouldn't buy another just to be doing something. Since I like the assortment that I have I am not in a shopping mood.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

im always in a buying mood. this week it was a fatboy, sure don't need it at all. I have too many razors as it is but ive wanted to see if the handle was a bigger help then hindrance compared to the slim. Then I get the slim out, make my lather the new way I do, and it was GOOOOOOd.

Its just that, all the adjustables I see on the market are either prepurchase and wait a year for delivery. Or merkur.

Nothing wrong with that, but people do like the easy usability of the Gillette family. I do, and im curious as to why people would rather pay out big bucks for old gillettes, or big dollars for new things that have endless lists of how they suck..