Great Razor / Blade Combination

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BeatlesFan

Great Razor / Blade Combination

Post by BeatlesFan »

Just lately I've been enjoying a particular combination so much that I thought I'd pass it along. I've been using a Gillette black-handled super adjustable (standard, not long, size), on a very low setting (like 1-to-2), with a Polsilver Super Iridium blade.

Been getting truly fabulous shaves with this setup. These blades have sometimes, in other razors, had a bit too much "bite" for me, but everything just moves in beautiful harmony with this razor + blade combination.

I love it when it all comes together like that!
brothers

Re: Great Razor / Blade Combination

Post by brothers »

It's always good to get things all dialed in, for sure.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sounds like a good combination.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the super adjustable, 89 or 109 were called "super" because the damn shave always seems to be super and just damn good.

right now I have my lather dialed in the way I need it, and everything seems to be good.
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I shaved yesterday with a 1947 Aristocrat sporting a Treet carbon steel (black) blade -- it was one of the best shaves in a while for me!

I agree with the OP, a wicked sharp blade like a Feather or Polsilver or Kai in a mild razor is a lovely combination. I love my R41 and my Fatip, but an extra sharp blade in a Gillette Tech or similar is a close, smooth shave's best ally -- I like the growlers for fun!
disengage
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Triton R3 blades are really great in pre WW2 OC's. Many people in mainland europe and me by their recommendation are using it. DFS or BBS always. Very smooth
Jack
steelheart1948

Post by steelheart1948 »

Gillette Fatboy on 9 with a Kai blade.
Merkur Progress(short handle) on 5 with a Kai blade.