Kudos to this Super Iridium blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Kudos to this Super Iridium blade

Post by brothers »

I figured out today that I've been using the same Super Iridium blade in the Darwin razor for 15 shaves so far. This includes before and after the recent OneBlade experience which resulted in returning the OB for a refund. BBS every day including today. When things start to deteriorate, I'll quickly swap it out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Kudos to this Super Iridium blade

Post by CMur12 »

That's impressive, Gary. Are you talking about the Super Iridium blades from before they disappeared and reportedly reappeared in new clothing as the Polsilver Super Iridiums?

I ordered 500 (two pillar packs of 250 each) of those from Connaught Shaving, years ago, when they were offered there on sale. I've bought a lot of other blades since then, too, and never got around to using the SIs.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

This box is from the old pre-Polsilver incarnation, to the best of my knowledge.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray, you should box a few for yourself, sell the rest and retire to a world of luxury and decadence LOL

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
BPman

Post by BPman »

fallingwickets wrote:Murray, you should box a few for yourself, sell the rest and retire to a world of luxury and decadence LOL

clive
They're still available. I have used them and IMO (as well as countless others) the newer Polsilver is the same blade, which is not a bad thing.

http://www.menessentials.com/shaving/ra ... 0pack.html
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

fallingwickets wrote:Murray, you should box a few for yourself, sell the rest and retire to a world of luxury and decadence LOL

clive
Now there's a thought! :D
(I'll probably keep them, though.)
BPman wrote:

clive
They're still available. I have used them and IMO (as well as countless others) the newer Polsilver is the same blade, which is not a bad thing.

http://www.menessentials.com/shaving/ra ... 0pack.html
Official word is that they're the same, while some swear they're different. Much like the polemics over Personna Med Preps vs Labs. A good blade is a good blade, however, and I get along with most of them (except for Feather).

- Murray
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

What could be more luxurious and decadent than shaving with a Super Iridium in a Darwin? Maybe a Light Brigade? I also have a Darwin, it does give a great shave, albeit one of noisiest I've experienced but I haven't got extraordinary blade life. I think that I have a rather tough beard, after 10-12 shaves even the best blades seem to lose their zest.
Rick
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I've got so many more blade than I'll ever use in my lifetime that I am not pushing the limit, with one exception: the Personna Tungsten injectable blades. Those are so rare and so good I just keep using one till it hurts. My Schick injector is one of the easiest blade razors I have. I look forward to its turn in the rotation.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm with you, Pete. I have more blades than I will ever, by any stretch of the imagination, be able to use. Furthermore, I am in complete agreement with you that the Personna 74 is the best blade EVER made, be it for DE or Injector.

- Murray