Fatboy and blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

Fatboy and blades

Post by nicodemus38 »

I tried my 59 fat boy with my 1953 Gillette blue blade. smooth, but far to much tugging. SO I opened up my last tuck of Wilkinson sword from Germany. made last year.

smooth, no tugging, but I had to turn the dial up to 5 to get any shaving....... I did manage a shave but by 430 I was feeling like a cave man again.
ShadowsDad

Re: Fatboy and blades

Post by ShadowsDad »

nico', what other blades have you tried?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

van der hagen merkur/timor rebrands. They are sharp blades this year. almost as sharp as Platinum Plus 9 packs from brazil. But the edge barely lasts 3 shaves. and it does have tugging.

the Vietnamese "dorco" store branded family dollar blades. they last a while and feel all right. Not as smooth as platinum plus

Since I got the platinum plus 9 packs from walgreens this year I have basically been stuck on them. they last and are smooth. I can get 8-9 shaves from one by cycling it through my razors.
BPman

Post by BPman »

The only Gillette Blue blades worth a damn IMO are the later ones that had a PTFE coating. Worth a damn is relative of course as we are totally spoiled by modern stainless coated blades. The old carbon blades were a 'use once & toss' proposition and even then you needed a Helluva prep to get a halfway decent shave. Of course, they didn't know different nor have better back then.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

non coated gem blades give a great smooth shave
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I find Polsilvers pretty good at a 4 setting in my Fatboy. In fact, I find they are pretty good in each of the razors I own.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I am using a fatboy with a Personna hospital blade that Gary gave me. I like really close shaves so I do 3 passes and a polish. I keep polishing till most areas are bbs. For that reason, I set it to 3 because anything more aggressive gives me chafe and irritation. The combination is one of the best I've tried. I also like a Polsilver blade in it. I only use it about once a week because I am rotating razors.
Ouchmychin (Pete)