merkur

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
lunfardi

merkur

Post by lunfardi »

does merkur make the very best quality wise razor handles for double edge blades like from the 50s? if not, then whom? can a classic shaving expert please tell me. thank you.
CMur12

Re: merkur

Post by CMur12 »

Merkur makes a product of good quality. When I came here, nine years ago, there were some complaints about quality control at Merkur, but I think those issues have been resolved. I have a Merkur Progress, purchased more recently, that I consider to be well made.

Edwin Jagger and Muehle razors have a higher quality chrome finish, but I don't think it amounts to any advantage in function or durability.

The more expensive razors made out of solid stainless steel are made of better materials and generally have a higher standard of finish, but you pay for that, too.

I wouldn't have any qualms about buying a Merkur razor if its performance characteristics are what you seek, as it should easily last you your lifetime and possibly beyond. And if something happens to compromise its performance, it won't be the end of the world to buy a replacement.

- Murray
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Which razor is "best" is 100% a matter of personal opinion. Many, many men love Merkur; others (myself included), prefer vintage Gillettes. And, in 2016, there are now numerous other DE companies producing a wide variety of fine DE razors. Nobody can make a definitive statement as to which is the absolute "best." (For example, go browse around on the "Shave of the Day" section and you'll see that among all these experienced DE shavers here at SMF there is no one "go-to-must-have-better-than-all others" perfect, universally acknowledged as "best" razor. Each of us has our preference(s).)

The only way to judge for yourself is to try a few DE razors, and see what suits you. If you ask, the fine gentlemen here at SMF will give you lots of advice about razor selection. If I were advising strictly on choice of which Gillette, I'd encourage you first to try a black-handled "Super Adjustable" (set quite low, especially at first) from the late 1960s - early 1970s era.

Anyway, I urge you to dive in and experiment with DE shaving. Acquire a few Razors; you can always sell or trade anything that you end up not liking. Good luck, ask questions here freely, and enjoy.
lunfardi

Post by lunfardi »

how can a double edge safety razor give a closer shave than a multi blade razor then? do more blades like on the fusion proglide by gillette truly give a closer shave than a single blade razor? can someone please tell me whats going with all of this publicity? thanks.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

lunfardi wrote:how can a double edge safety razor give a closer shave than a multi blade razor then? do more blades like on the fusion proglide by gillette truly give a closer shave than a single blade razor? can someone please tell me whats going with all of this publicity? thanks.
You are going to get different opinions about this, as can be seen in the thread you already opened with this question.

In my opinion, the advantage of the DE razor is the ability to do multiple passes, approaching the beard from different directions, with less irritation than you would get from doing the same thing with a multi-blade cartridge razor. Most cartridge shavers do a single pass and touch-up. Shavers on these forums - who aren't your typical shavers - tend to do multi-pass shaves. For a single-pass shave, I think the cartridge is a little closer, but not all agree on this. Results probably depend upon micro-factors in the individual shaver's technique.

Cartridge razors are favored by, and work best for, the majority of shavers. We are a decided minority here among shavers. Our preferences in tools and supplies on these forums vary widely, based on beard, skin, micro-technique, and other factors. Also, we aren't conducting scientific studies on the tools we use. We experiment and find what works for each of us. We can make recommendations for things you can try, but ultimately, you will need to do your own experimentation to find the answers you seek.

- Murray
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have a Merkur Futur in my rotation. It is one of my favorite DE razors. The only problem is that it is solid stainless steel and it is heavy. It takes a while to get used to and to learn to use safely because it has a more exposed blade edge. I also use and like an old Schick Krona that I bought for a lot less than a vintage Gillette on ebay, (have them too). I also use a Schick Hydro 5 and a Gillette Fusion Proglide. I like all of them.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

When King Gillette created his flexible razor blade, the whole product promotion was thus

a short section of razor blade, in a razor, that was promised to give you a ONE PASS shave that equaled the best barber chair shave money could buy. And at far less cost per shave.

I can get a 1 pass shave with an old type, with a new improved, with a fat boy, aristocrat.

I normally had to do 3 passes with a quarto or fusion to equal one pass with a wieshi tto
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

nic, can you get as close with one pass? I can't even get near close even after two passes. Along my jaw I have to fight with many strokes to get smooth, no matter what razor I am using.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I just go with the grain. and slithly across on the cheeks.

I can get the same results visually and tactile with one pass of my heavy tech, fat boy, aristocrat that I can get with 3 WTG passes and 2 ATG passes using a cartridge razor.

Ironically I can do my usual 1 pass wtg, and do a touch up pass, and get the same physical and tactile results then if I also did an ATG pass.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

This morning I did a 3 pass and polish shave with my Hydro5 and then polished with my Krona and a hospital Personna; then had to polish again with my Futur set at an aggressive 3 and a Polsilver. It is two hours later and I have stubble on my jaw line.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Gene

Post by Gene »

lunfardi wrote:how can a double edge safety razor give a closer shave than a multi blade razor then? do more blades like on the fusion proglide by gillette truly give a closer shave than a single blade razor? can someone please tell me whats going with all of this publicity? thanks.
I would suggest that you head to YouTube and check out the videos created by one of our members: Mantic59.

You will find a lot of info in these videos, and the generic answers to your questions.

BUT - as mentioned - what works for me might not work for you. Many members here love blades that others hate. Same for razors, brushes, the cream versus soap discussions - it's all here. There is very little the forum members agree totally on...and that's how we like it.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's a good question, and the most obvious answer is that it's an individualized curiosity about options and combinations of options. We all like to experiment, and we all get different results because we perceive stuff differently, particularly results. It's just human nature, really.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

merkur handles are a toss up.

The only GOOD looking handle was the original release for the 1904 classic. Those had a nice early period GEM style art deco cast relief fine or figural pattern cast in the handle. Then it went to cast indentations. and apparently to just lines cut into the handle.

Parker overall has better looking handles.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Regarding Merkur handles in my experience, the Futur and Vision are the most difficult handles to hold even when dry, while shaving. The Futur even caused mild cramping in my hand, which was the only razor I've ever held that did that. Progress is better, and the 37G Slant is the best.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

brothers wrote:Regarding Merkur handles in my experience, the Futur and Vision are the most difficult handles to hold even when dry, while shaving. The Futur even caused mild cramping in my hand, which was the only razor I've ever held that did that. Progress is better, and the 37G Slant is the best.
I agree -- the Merkur 37C slant gets more use than any other razor I own. I bought a VISION several years ago and was surprised by how large it is -- it would look perfect with Hulk Hogan holding it! I've never used it, and I think I will hold on to it as an investment. I tend to prefer DE razors with shorter handles. The iKon tuckaway handle is my favorite with three piece razors -- Industrial Art.

disengage